Premed 101 Forums

NYU to make medical school free

Yeah - I started a thread last week.  Guess there's now 3 :) 

Question was raised - will it really help accessibility?  That's apparently what they want to do, but college and other steps for being a competitive premed are also very expensive in the US.

Could snowball to other places - Columbia started it by offering need-based full-tuition scholarships.     

2 hours ago, BalkanRelations said:

This should make it a lot more viable for Canadian applicants to apply to US MD schools

I mean NYU is now one of the most competitive medical schools in the US now. I don't think this is a good idea... it should be need based. There exists a portion of the class that didn't need the aid in the first place and their parents could have financed the whole thing

19 hours ago, erlich-bachman said:

I mean NYU is now one of the most competitive medical schools in the US now. I don't think this is a good idea... it should be need based. There exists a portion of the class that didn't need the aid in the first place and their parents could have financed the whole thing

They wanted to increase diversity among students - "a full retrofitting of the pipeline that trains and finances future doctors."

Will it end up just being a subsidy for the wealthy?  Maybe - but 55K/year is without question a huge barrier for students from lower income households.  They've now done something really public that everyone will know about - NYU - the "free school" for medical doctors.  Maybe a few lower income household students will be more enabled to pursue medicine.  If only some students get subsidized tuition, it could create resentment - this could have also been a factor.   

In any case,  the money is from private sources, not the public purse, so the taxpayer isn't directly subsidizing the students.     

15 hours ago, tere said:

They wanted to increase diversity among students - "a full retrofitting of the pipeline that trains and finances future doctors."

Will it end up just being a subsidy for the wealthy?  Maybe - but 55K/year is without question a huge barrier for students from lower income households.  They've now done something really public that everyone will know about - NYU - the "free school" for medical doctors.  Maybe a few lower income household students will be more enabled to pursue medicine.  If only some students get subsidized tuition, it could create resentment - this could have also been a factor.   

In any case,  the money is from private sources, not the public purse, so the taxpayer isn't directly subsidizing the students.     

Good point, they are a private institution that can do whatever they want with their endowment. Hopefully forces other schools to follow as well. I dont have much familiarity with need-based scholarships, so maybe a blanket solution is better

Archived