Premed 101 Forums

Reference letter regarding religious volunteering?

Hi,

This is a kinda sensitive question,

I'm a PhD student, and in the hospital I work I have been responsible for Muslim employee affairs, arranging for Friday prayer, giving ceremony, being the representative and link between hospital HR and Muslim employees etc...I have been fully managing this stuff for more than 4 years,

I will have two reference letters from my Master's and PhD supervisors, and thinking of having the third from one of those Muslim employees who is involved with us, he is a physician/professor at the hospital and the university it is affiliated to, and will be happy to write me a strong letter about how I was managing this thing, arranging stuff, leading the initiative, communicating with hospital on their behalf etc...

Do you think that would be a good reference letter? to be honest I am kinda reluctant cause I don't know who will judge the letter and what his political/religious views are...

No one will judge you. UofT is very inclusive and is proud of it. One of the docs working with me said he had a reference letter from his rabbi. The letters are all about describing you as a person in the eyes of others. If this reference is doing justice to you, and shows you in a positive light - use it. It is also recommended you use references from different aspects of life, so it sound it will be beneficial as the other ones are school/research specific.

Best of luck!

On 8/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, ToughLuck said:

No one will judge you. UofT is very inclusive and is proud of it. One of the docs working with me said he had a reference letter from his rabbi. The letters are all about describing you as a person in the eyes of others. If this reference is doing justice to you, and shows you in a positive light - use it. It is also recommended you use references from different aspects of life, so it sound it will be beneficial as the other ones are school/research specific.

Best of luck!

Thank you, honestly I'm concerned because it is not just any religious volunteering, it is "Muslim"...I feel that's quite different than other religions because of global political issues etc...
I do know for sure that they would respect my views as a Muslim, but I'm not sure if going further to have a letter about it would be a safe idea...

• 3 weeks later...

Salamz homie! Tbh I'm not mentioning the Muslim thing either, in spite of it being a huge part of my identity. No matter how inclusive and into diversity UofT is there still hasn't been much progress with the attitudes towards Muslims, particularly more practicing ones. My fear is that the people assessing the essays will be on the more conservative, less accepting end of things and I don't want to risk allowing their biases to influence my chances at an interview/acceptance. 

Archived