Premed 101 Forums

Revealing potential anxiety disorder on applications?

I need to include a minor note about my transcript in the academic explanation part of the applications. I think I may have a minor anxiety disorder (self-diagnosed, have an appointment soon with doctor to find out more).. Is that going to be a red flag on my application? Should I avoid putting this down in case they may think that I cannot handle the stress? 

Even with a diagnosis... it's hard to spin this into a positive on any application. 

One would expect that in the field of medicine we'd advocate for more mental health and self-care... but that's not the case when you think about how competitive the entire process is. Ask yourself... there are thousands of people vying for a spot... are you going to jeopardize yourself? 

I personally dislike those realities a lot but I would not take the risk to disclose this. Instead I would focus more on your own wellness and speaking to the right people for assistance. 

Best wishes, 

- G

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 1:24 PM, purplemermaid said:

I need to include a minor note about my transcript in the academic explanation part of the applications. I think I may have a minor anxiety disorder (self-diagnosed, have an appointment soon with doctor to find out more).. Is that going to be a red flag on my application? Should I avoid putting this down in case they may think that I cannot handle the stress? 

Say that you were dealing with an illness when commenting about your transcript. Do not say that you think you have an anxiety disorder, especially if self diagnosed. If you struggle with anxiety, you should deal with that first before going to medical school. If its bad enough that it affects your grades you're going to struggle even more if you don't address your own mental health first.

Archived