Premed 101 Forums

Maternity Leave/ Parental leave PARO

I’m not aware of any hidden agenda. One thing that it’s good to be mindful of is that the end of each residency year will be moved back by the amount of time you take off. I.e if you take 1 month of paternity leave in PGY3 then your PGY4 year won’t start until the end of July (vs July 1st), likewise for PGY5. This matters as you won’t move up on the salary scale every year until a month after your classmates.

21 hours ago, BigM said:

I’m not aware of any hidden agenda. One thing that it’s good to be mindful of is that the end of each residency year will be moved back by the amount of time you take off. I.e if you take 1 month of paternity leave in PGY3 then your PGY4 year won’t start until the end of July (vs July 1st), likewise for PGY5. This matters as you won’t move up on the salary scale every year until a month after your classmates.

That's good to know! 

On 9/22/2018 at 12:30 AM, Lactic Folly said:

Yes, it's very common. I'd also note the maximum number of months that you can miss in residency and still complete on schedule, if that works for your household. Something like 3 months (check program requirements).

It's 3 I believe. I took some time off for my first son (one month) and didnt have to make it up. 

Archived