Premed 101 Forums

oop with 521 mcat, is it one point too low?

Last year, 521 (99th percentile) was the lowest MCAT score for OOP interviewees. :(  Additionally, a 128 in CARS was also the cut-off for OOP - which was 90th % last year. 

Your GPA does not matter for Sask so long as you are above 85% this year. It doesn't factor into your ranking for an interview or admission at all. It's only the MCAT (and then interview if you get one). I'd say apply anyways because the OOP applicant pool could shift from year to year...best of luck! 

Source (Page 14/22): https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/Entry2019ApplicantInformation.pdf

2 hours ago, UWCC said:

Last year, 521 (99th percentile) was the lowest MCAT score for OOP interviewees. :(  Additionally, a 128 in CARS was also the cut-off for OOP - which was 90th % last year. 

Your GPA does not matter for Sask so long as you are above 85% this year. It doesn't factor into your ranking for an interview or admission at all. It's only the MCAT (and then interview if you get one). I'd say apply anyways because the OOP applicant pool could shift from year to year...best of luck! 

Source (Page 14/22): https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/Entry2019ApplicantInformation.pdf

I didn't read anywhere that 128 CARS was the cut-off? Where did you find this?

On 9/20/2018 at 3:37 PM, UWCC said:

For 2019, GPA DOES matter as they changed the requirements for OOP. It must be at least 85% for U of S! No idea about Manitoba sorry

Notice of Requirement Change: On May 30, 2018, Faculty Council approved the changes to the admission requirements for out-of-province resident applicants.  Out-of-Province applicants will now require a minimum university academic average of 85.0% and a Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) minimum result of the 80th percentile for the test sum and for each of the four section scores.  Only the most recent MCAT will be considered.

I thought I would chime in here since I'm a first year OOP student at U of M. Just a note that this is the U of M forum page, not the U of S page (these document links are all from U of S). The interview and class stats from the past cycle are not out, but us OOP students range from 523-524. I remember someone posted this past cycle that they did not get an interview with 521 and 4.5, so 521 may have been too low unless you had a rural, etc. coefficient. I would like to point out that there is no CARS cutoff at all for U of M and only your overall MCAT score matters. Also, with the introduction of the CASPer (being 30% pre-interview I think?), there could be a lot of people with sub-522 MCATs and great CASPers getting interviews and people with 522+ MCATs and poor CASPers not getting interviews. I would definitely recommend that you apply, and good luck! :) 

If you're from Ontario, that 3.98 will very likely translate to a 4.5 once your worst ~10 courses are removed (depending on how many credits you have, see applicant information bulletin for more details). If you're from Alberta (or somewhere else that treats A and A+ both as 4.0), you'll probably be between 4.0 and 4.5 depending on how many A+s vs As you have. For the Manitoba grading scale, A- and A are equivalent (so are the normal letter grades and minuses) to 4, and A+ is equivalent to 4.5. + is basically 0.5 higher than the normal letter grade, and normal letter grades and minuses are on the dot. Hopefully this helps! 

Archived