Premed 101 Forums

DVM vs. MD

Hi all, currently going through a dilema of whether to go into Veterinary school or Medical school. For any people who has wondered the same thing, what made you go one way or another? I love medicine and everything it contains and they both sound very intersting! A struggle I have for Veterinary school is salary which sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm usually not the one to complain about money, but coming from a student paying for almost everything myself, I'd like to get my life together ASAP after school. Also, what is the variety of cases seen in each case? I've volunteered at both hospitals and clinics and both seem to deal with similar things everyday...would I be incorrect in stating that Veterinarians lead a better life (family wise) as they don't have the rigorous schedule of a doctor at a hospital? Any advice or help appreciated!

Cheers,

Victor

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 9:57 PM, VictorLin0725 said:

would I be incorrect in stating that Veterinarians lead a better life (family wise) as they don't have the rigorous schedule of a doctor at a hospital?

Yeah, probably incorrect.  Though it depends what kind of vet you're talking about.  I've personally chosen vet medicine because country vets (farm vets) have a good deal of independence and rarely have to work with a team (apart from assistants, like the farmer).  But the downside is that they can work crazy hours, starting at 8 and only finishing 10 in the evening plus having to work calls weekends and nights.  I've spent probably around a couple weeks worth of time following around farm vets, and it's great if you like to be able to stretch the rules with creativity in risky cases (ie., coming up with the most sterile environment you can in a less-than-sterile environment, pushing on intestines that are trying to escape the surgery hole, desperately trying to keep them from falling on the ground with limited light while trying to sew an incision shut...).  On the other hand, it's hard work for a relatively low salary (I think it runs around a quarter of what doctors earn, for the same basic amount of training, which means that part time isn't an option.

Clinic vets (ie., small animals) seem to be able to live more normal lives, but still, there are emergency calls, and you have to be ready to work longer hours than intended.

Well my Daddy's a vet and if I was one too, the one thing he
Always taught me to do was get paid, cash money
Jam and eggs is a kind enough thank you, but not for the
Bookkeeper, not for the banker
The margin's thin on treatin' large animals unless it's a
Purebred or, more understandable, a racehorse of some kind
You see son, city folks pay a high dollar to make sure Fido
Ain't hot under the collar, that's where the money is
Boutique animal hospitals, shopping malls, cocker spaniels
Pomeranians; hang your shingle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JChwFoCxVC8

Ok, a more serious answer...I'm not a vet, but I do have a couple of large animal vets in my extended family.  They work hard.   They're doing fine financially, but you really have to love the work, and it's very physically demanding. 

Last time I checked, admission to OVC was as competitive or more competitive than med school.   I'd suggest really figuring out what you're getting yourself into -- ie do a bunch of shadowing with a variety of vets.  And don't be afraid to ask questions about money -- people are always shy about doing that.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 12:00 PM, ploughboy said:

Ok, a more serious answer...I'm not a vet, but I do have a couple of large animal vets in my extended family.  They work hard.   They're doing fine financially, but you really have to love the work, and it's very physically demanding. 

Last time I checked, admission to OVC was as competitive or more competitive than med school.   I'd suggest really figuring out what you're getting yourself into -- ie do a bunch of shadowing with a variety of vets.  And don't be afraid to ask questions about money -- people are always shy about doing that.

Sorry for such a late reply (been offline for a bit). I'll always feel that if I go into Medicine instead of being a Vet just for the money it would make me a bad person. Interest wise I do love animals more and I've always been a farm person (worked with a handful of bovine/equine vets). Being from financially tighter family I just can't wrap my head around justifying 8 years of schooling and loans for a fairly average salary...I'm I wrong in thinking this? I don't hate human medicine but passion is definetly lower.

10 hours ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Interest wise I do love animals more and I've always been a farm person (worked with a handful of bovine/equine vets).

Not an easy decision: like you said, there's a lot of schooling involved, and relatively low salary afterward to pay off those student loans.  Do you absolutely have to be in farm veterinary practice?  Because if you're just interested in being in some kind of medicine involved with animals, and you don't want to go through all the schooling necessary, you might consider a veterinary technician.  There (unfortunately) aren't really any opportunities for work on farms, but you'd be working with animals (small animals, generally) on a medical level (giving shots, etc.), and the schooling is a lot less long.  Furthermore, the degree is just a cegep degree (where I am, anyhow) rather than a full university degree, meaning that it's shorter and less costly.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:17 AM, sfrazer17 said:

Not an easy decision: like you said, there's a lot of schooling involved, and relatively low salary afterward to pay off those student loans.  Do you absolutely have to be in farm veterinary practice?  Because if you're just interested in being in some kind of medicine involved with animals, and you don't want to go through all the schooling necessary, you might consider a veterinary technician.  There (unfortunately) aren't really any opportunities for work on farms, but you'd be working with animals (small animals, generally) on a medical level (giving shots, etc.), and the schooling is a lot less long.  Furthermore, the degree is just a cegep degree (where I am, anyhow) rather than a full university degree, meaning that it's shorter and less costly.

Not to be too picky but other than my 2 dogs (who I absolutley love) I really don't have that much interest in small critters haha. I think large animal practice would be the only thing I'd be interested in (bovine, horses, dairy, etc). I also like that kind of outdoor environment as opposed to a clinical setting.

Archived