Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,
 
 
I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.
 
In my first year I took 4 FCE in the fall/winter and 1 FCE in the spring. In my second year I took 4 FCE in the fall/winter and 0.5 FCE in the spring. In my third year I took 5 FCE in the fall/spring.
I am currently in my fourth year and am registered for 4.5 FCE as that is all I need to complete my degree. Will the course from my second spring year count towards making this year eligible to give me 3 full time years to use to apply for Ottawa? 
 
Also, does the level of the courses I take in my 3rd or 4th year matter in the admissions process?
 
 
Thanks, and hope everyone's admissions are getting along well!
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, iSpawnTrapInMW2 said:
Hi everyone,
 
 
I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.
 
In my first year I took 4 FCE in the fall/winter and 1 FCE in the spring. In my second year I took 4 FCE in the fall/winter and 0.5 FCE in the spring. In my third year I took 5 FCE in the fall/spring.
I am currently in my fourth year and am registered for 4.5 FCE as that is all I need to complete my degree. Will the course from my second spring year count towards making this year eligible to give me 3 full time years to use to apply for Ottawa? 
 
Also, does the level of the courses I take in my 3rd or 4th year matter in the admissions process?
 
 
Thanks, and hope everyone's admissions are getting along well!

I’ll clarify more on your other years once I get home, but can you also tell us if you’re in a coop program or not? If you’re not, your third year would already be ineligible for wGPA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

I’ll clarify more on your other years once I get home, but can you also tell us if you’re in a coop program or not? If you’re not, your third year would already be ineligible for wGPA. 

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I am not in a coop program. Am I ineligible to apply to Ottawa then? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, iSpawnTrapInMW2 said:

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I am not in a coop program. Am I ineligible to apply to Ottawa then? 

So if I got this right, your credits in your degree follows like this:

1st year = 4 FCE (Fall/Winter) + 1 FCE in Spring

2nd year = 4 FCE (Fall/Winter) + 0.5 FCE in Spring

3rd year = 5 FCE (Fall/Spring)

4th year = 4.5 FCE (Fall/Winter)

So the way Ottawa calculates wGPA is that you have to have 5 FCE per academic year (Sept-April) adhering to at least 4 on-campus courses PER SEMESTER given that you have ADDITIONAL credits in another academic year or you took it for the summer term. To first answer your question, your 2nd spring term 0.5 FCE course won't go to your 4th year because it's not an additional credit, since that year has not reached the required 5 FCE per academic year yet.

Since you are not on a coop program, your 3rd year is ineligible for the wGPA calculation, since a full spring term does not replace a full semester in an academic year (Sept-April), unless you are on coop. However, in this scenario, your 2nd and 4th year are also ineligible for the wGPA calculation because they don't contain a total 5.0 FCE, since you don't have any additional credits to spare in any of the academic terms or spring terms.

Now, what you can do is that, if you have not graduated yet, take a spring term and add two courses, after completing those additional two courses, those credits can be add towards your 2nd year and 4th year, so your wGPA will be based on your 1st, 2nd, and 4th year. Note, if you decide to do 2 more spring courses, they have to be towards a degree in order for them to be eligible for use. 

Hopefully that helps.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry that was a typo, in my third year I took the 5 FCE in the fall/winter, not the spring.

I have 1 FCE of transfer credit that I have used towards my degree. If I take one course in the spring of this year towards my degree (replacing 0.5 FCE transfer credit), would that allow this year to be eligible in the calculation for THIS cycle? Giving me years 1, 3 and 4 to use?

Thanks a ton, your response was a huge help!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

So if I got this right, your credits in your degree follows like this:

1st year = 4 FCE (Fall/Winter) + 1 FCE in Spring

2nd year = 4 FCE (Fall/Winter) + 0.5 FCE in Spring

3rd year = 5 FCE (Fall/Spring)

4th year = 4.5 FCE (Fall/Winter)

So the way Ottawa calculates wGPA is that you have to have 5 FCE per academic year (Sept-April) adhering to at least 4 on-campus courses PER SEMESTER given that you have ADDITIONAL credits in another academic year or you took it for the summer term. To first answer your question, your 2nd spring term 0.5 FCE course won't go to your 4th year because it's not an additional credit, since that year has not reached the required 5 FCE per academic year yet.

Since you are not on a coop program, your 3rd year is ineligible for the wGPA calculation, since a full spring term does not replace a full semester in an academic year (Sept-April), unless you are on coop. However, in this scenario, your 2nd and 4th year are also ineligible for the wGPA calculation because they don't contain a total 5.0 FCE, since you don't have any additional credits to spare in any of the academic terms or spring terms.

Now, what you can do is that, if you have not graduated yet, take a spring term and add two courses, after completing those additional two courses, those credits can be add towards your 2nd year and 4th year, so your wGPA will be based on your 1st, 2nd, and 4th year. Note, if you decide to do 2 more spring courses, they have to be towards a degree in order for them to be eligible for use. 

Hopefully that helps.

 

/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 12:21 AM, iSpawnTrapInMW2 said:

Sorry that was a typo, in my third year I took the 5 FCE in the fall/winter, not the spring.

I have 1 FCE of transfer credit that I have used towards my degree. If I take one course in the spring of this year towards my degree (replacing 0.5 FCE transfer credit), would that allow this year to be eligible in the calculation for THIS cycle? Giving me years 1, 3 and 4 to use?

Thanks a ton, your response was a huge help!

 

Sorry, late response, have been busy.

This changes the interpretation a little bit. Since your 3rd year is done within the academic year, you have years 1 and 3 for sure. Since your second year is not a complete 5 FCE academic year (Sept-April) and you don't have enough transfer credits to make that an eligible year, your 2nd academic year is ignored. HOWEVER, since you still have a 0.5 spring term credit to be applied to any year,  that 2nd year spring term credit is applied to your 4th year instead. Therefore, giving you 1,3,4 to use. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Sorry, late response, have been busy.

This changes the interpretation a little bit. Since your 3rd year is done within the academic year, you have years 1 and 3 for sure. Since your second year is not a complete 5 FCE academic year (Sept-April) and you don't have enough transfer credits to make that an eligible year, your 2nd academic year is ignored. HOWEVER, since you still have a 0.5 spring term credit to be applied to any year,  that 2nd year spring term credit is applied to your 4th year instead. Therefore, giving you 1,3,4 to use. 

Perfect! Thats what I was hoping for. No worries on the late response, thanks for the help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 

I have a similar situation.  Are you guys certain that the extra course required to make a 4-course semester into a 5 course semester has to be done in the summer, and cannot be taken from a part-time academic year (the five course per semester needs to be reached first for a credit to become additional?)?  If so, how did you find this information? 

I'm asking as I had several part time years and am lacking one credit to make a 4 course semester into a five course semester.  I thought one of my part-time courses would suffice but now I'm concerned, as none of them were completed during the summer, but rather during the fall/winter semesters. 

Any help would be awesome :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
On 10/1/2018 at 5:53 PM, FingersCrossed1 said:

Hello, 

I have a similar situation.  Are you guys certain that the extra course required to make a 4-course semester into a 5 course semester has to be done in the summer, and cannot be taken from a part-time academic year (the five course per semester needs to be reached first for a credit to become additional?)?  If so, how did you find this information? 

I'm asking as I had several part time years and am lacking one credit to make a 4 course semester into a five course semester.  I thought one of my part-time courses would suffice but now I'm concerned, as none of them were completed during the summer, but rather during the fall/winter semesters. 

Any help would be awesome :)

Hello, may I ask where you found the answer to this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...