Premed 101 Forums

Please help! (I understand if you don’t feel like reading this though)

Dear @Recusitatorwannabe,

First and foremast, I want to commend you for being so courageous to share such a personal story with all of us. At the same time, I'm happy that you are willing to talk about this and hope you are communicating this with your loved ones around you to gain their support. One of the best things we can do for our mental health is to communicate our adversities; without appropriate communication, the stresses pile and certainly nothing good can come out of it. Thank you for being honest and opening up. Like I mentioned, I really hope you are speaking with others about this as well.

Secondly, let me tell you that the stresses of pursuing medicine does not stop once you get in. Gaining an offer of acceptance brings joy, but does not cure problems. And if you're going to be a doctor, which I am sure you will make a great one, you must ask yourself: How can I help others if I am not helping myself first? This is why I say communication is extremely important. Asking for help from family, relatives, friends, professors, TAs, etc, is not wrong. It opens opportunities for you to become better and also reach the goals you've set for yourself. And the thing about mental health is that it affects everything in our lives -- self-esteem, academics, friendships, jobs, and so forth. If you take the time to focus on yourself in becoming better before anything, then surely you are also affecting everything in your life to improve.

And so what if you take time off? So what if you lose a year or two, or three? So what?? If you think about years into the future, you'll be working as an experienced doctor, for example, at age 50 when you could have been 47.  I mean, does this really make a difference? Taking time off seems so significant when we are young because we're only in our 20's or 30's. But as time goes on and we become older, those gaps don't mean much.

I am 26 years old and I've been trying to get into medicine for quite a while. If all goes well and I receive an offer this year, I would become SO MUCH happier than say 2-3 years ago, and for sure would become a significantly better physician. Why? Because I experienced and overcame so many challenges to get to where I am today, that I probably wouldn't have experienced if I entered MD earlier. The long anticipation of becoming accepted will definitely contribute in me getting more from my program, and so will my maturity.

I think the only real scenario where someone is wasting their time is when they sit on their butt and don't do anything for their future. If you are focusing on your mental health, you're NOT wasting your time. If you are building your resume in any shape or form (volunteering, employment, research experience, traveling to experience other cultures, etc), you're NOT wasting your time. All of these contribute to you becoming more fit for MD.

Always believe in yourself and do not give up on your dreams -- as the saying goes:  If there is a will, there is a way :) .

Wishing you the best! Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:41 PM, Recusitatorwannabe said:

Isn’t it hard to get residency in Canada if I do that?

On 10/28/2018 at 7:29 AM, Aconitase said:

Difficult yes. Not impossible lots do. And easy to get a US spot and come up for work after you done training 

I would not recommend that as your current situation is not amenable to success. You need to first look after yourself. A Caribbean medical school is costly and will take you regardless of whether or not you pass or fail. In your situation you're more likely to be left without the support necessary to help you succeed.

- G 

Archived