Premed 101 Forums

Do people lie on CASPer?

You have to realize that medical school applicants, medical students, and doctors are people, and so are just as capable of lying, cheating, and doing anything else that human beings tend to do. We have to get the stereotype of the "gentleman doctor" out of mainstream consciousness, because it can be harmful to patient outcomes and the integrity of the medical profession. 

On 10/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, kerenza said:

Just wondering if it’s common to lie on CASPer about your personal experiences. Seems like a strategy that’s obviously unfair to those who are honest

Yes. People lie on CASPer. People also lie on their medical school applications and even during interviews, I personally know 2 who did and got accepted! Sometimes medicine attracts the wrong types of people because of the earning potential some specialties have. Fact of life, it's unfair, it sucks, but it's the truth and on the bright side at least you can be happy about being surrounded by slightly less liars than in law school!

You could lie in many points along the process, cheating to get a better GPA, embellishing during your interview, etc. With experience, the interviewers are probably pretty good at detecting certain undesirable personality traits in candidates and sniffing out bullshit, but they are far from perfect.

A relevant and interesting book about the corporate leadership world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_in_Suits

19 hours ago, Executive-D said:

You could lie in many points along the process, cheating to get a better GPA, embellishing during your interview, etc. With experience, the interviewers are probably pretty good at detecting certain undesirable personality traits in candidates and sniffing out bullshit, but they are far from perfect.

A relevant and interesting book about the corporate leadership world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_in_Suits

Brilliant book by the way. Corporate psychopathy and the dark triad are pretty unsettling.

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who marks casper, It doesn't matter if you lie. The point of the personal experience questions is more to get your thought process and decision making as opposed to what the actual experience was. We have no way of verifying if your experience is true or not, so we do not evaluate it. For instance if the question was "describe a time you had a conflict in a  group setting and how you resolved it", I am only looking at what you consider a conflict, considering that conflict scenario, then judging how you described you solved it. I don't care if you actually did this or if you're making up an imaginary scenario on how you WOULD solve it, either way answers the question. You get the same grade for how you resolved the conflict on who does what in your chem 101 lab report as you do for for the conflict with your board of directors as ceo of a non-profit literally curing cancer, is what I'm trying to say.

Literally everyone starts of these answers with "As a [prestigious position] at [prestigious hospital/company/university] I..." and you'd get the same score starting with "As a barista at starbucks..."

The other parts of your application usually have to come with references or verifyers, but the point of the casper doesn't need them.

Archived