Premed 101 Forums

Using "I" and "My" in the CV??

Sorry if my question sounds dumb, I am an OOP applicant and am struggling a bit with the CV. McGill is making us enter our ECs in a very different format as compared to other Canadian Medical schools. I know that in a normal resume, the general consensus is that one should avoid using "I" and "my", do the same rules apply to the CV for McGill? I did see their exemplar on the McGill website use the word "my" but did not see it use "I".  

21 minutes ago, Underd0g said:

I think that should be fine. IMO the ADCOM will not penalize you for using "my" or "I" statements if you are describing your activities objectively and succinctly.

Now the trick is to do it objectively. Instead of saying "I developed my communication skills through working with individuals who do not speak English as a first language", I would opt for "I utilized different communication methods, such as sign language, to effectively communicate with individuals not speaking English as a first language".

My $0.02. Explore different opinions. Try calling the admissions office, can't hurt. Best of luck.

Alright, thanks for your help! 

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think about how much details we need for 'reason of inclusion'? and do we really need to have a reason for each entry? they say in the guide that even in the award section we should not forget to put a reason of inclusion for every entry but it seems like a lot, specially for research scholarship, the reason would all be the same...

Also, because of all the research I did (publications, research during undergrad, etc) I kind of have no space left for full sentences for the reason of inclusion so I've been putting keywords in italic after the description. Do you think it is okay to use keywords like 'Initiative, time gestion, teamwork.' or do you think they really expect full sentences?

3 hours ago, Al22 said:

What do you guys think about how much details we need for 'reason of inclusion'? and do we really need to have a reason for each entry? they say in the guide that even in the award section we should not forget to put a reason of inclusion for every entry but it seems like a lot, specially for research scholarship, the reason would all be the same...

Also, because of all the research I did (publications, research during undergrad, etc) I kind of have no space left for full sentences for the reason of inclusion so I've been putting keywords in italic after the description. Do you think it is okay to use keywords like 'Initiative, time gestion, teamwork.' or do you think they really expect full sentences?

I would put myself in the shoes of the person reading the CV.
On the other end, they will be reviewing about 100+ documents.
Each under the same format and involving very similar extra-curriculars :
eg. hospital volunteering, research assistant, teaching assistant, the classics.

Therefore, I would keep it concise and simple.
I highly doubt your chances will increase if you write :

'I work in a team' vs 'Teamwork'.

I would not overthink it.
Your involvement is far more important than the reason for inclusion in my opinion.

Best of luck! :)

9 hours ago, SEAL said:

I have a question with regards to the CV: is there a specific order in which we should write the entries ....... like a chronological order ....... or most significant to least significant. What did you guys do?

I use chronological order, as I would in  CV for a job. Seems like it would be easier to read and review.

Archived