Premed 101 Forums

theory on western ABS scoring

Disclaimer: this is just a theory and I understand that there's no way to know for sure and that this isn't productive etc etc.. I am currently writing my ABS however and procrastinating :)

At some points in the ABS document, it basically says you can achieve maximum score by linking activities to the cluster. The fact that they're assigning points/score means that there's going to be a quantitative measurement of their "holistic" assessment. 

This adds one more numeric factor into the MCAT/GPA game, which kind of makes sense for Western. Whether they view everybody's ABS, however, or only look at those whose MCAT/GPA meets a certain cut off, is anybody's guess.

1 hour ago, Gironomo said:

Disclaimer: this is just a theory and I understand that there's no way to know for sure and that this isn't productive etc etc.. I am currently writing my ABS however and procrastinating :)

At some points in the ABS document, it basically says you can achieve maximum score by linking activities to the cluster. The fact that they're assigning points/score means that there's going to be a quantitative measurement of their "holistic" assessment. 

This adds one more numeric factor into the MCAT/GPA game, which kind of makes sense for Western. Whether they view everybody's ABS, however, or only look at those whose MCAT/GPA meets a certain cut off, is anybody's guess.

hey :) almost every single subjective/qualitative measure used in admission is somehow used to create a numerical score so I would say your logic is not far off on that - with so many applicants and so many things going on turning it ultimately into a math problem is almost the only way to go. 

1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

hey :) almost every single subjective/qualitative measure used in admission is somehow used to create a numerical score so I would say your logic is not far off on that - with so many applicants and so many things going on turning it ultimately into a math problem is almost the only way to go. 

that is true... i have been writing all day so when that thought came to me, i dont know why i thought it was revolutionary lol

Just now, Gironomo said:

that is true... i have been writing all day so when that thought came to me, i dont know why i thought it was revolutionary lol

Ha well it is insightful - and not without importance. It really means you have to make it clear why you are using that particular entry etc. Thinking like a grader is not a bad way to go - it reminds you of the entire point constantly. If you have anyone review your matters - same thing tell them what you think the scoring system is or how it might work so they can with new eyes see if they think it is doing that. 

Archived