Premed 101 Forums

2nd undergraduate degree disqualification

Okay, so I was just checking the requirements for Western again and read:

"If you are currently enrolled in a second undergraduate degree program, you are eligible to apply during the final year of your new program.

• In order to be considered for GPA, this second degree MUST BE equivalent to a four-year degree.
  • GPA consideration will be based only on the TWO best years of the SECOND UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAM. Course load and level requirements for the second degree are analogous to the requirements of the first degree.
  • Applicants who are given a conditional offer must complete all program requirements for the second undergraduate degree by June 30th. Withdrawal from a graduate degree to attend medical school will not be permitted."

So my story is that I didn't get in after qualifying to graduate last year. I graduate got my degree and am back full-time right now to take pre-reqs to also qualify for the US this year. However, I enrolled in some program at the school because I graduate from my first program. I didn't want it to look like I didn't graduate on time because I didn't complete my degree requirements so I finished the program. So that is my story of how I am a first year again in a new program. Also just as an aside, the GPA cut-off is no problem for me to address one of the points.

So I won't meet the program requirements by the end of the year, so if I am offered acceptance, will it be revoked?

Also, will this be a problem or will I be looked at as a 5th-year student if I put into OMSAS that I did not expect to get the degree?

This is worrying.

Your question is really confusing, but I can tell you from experience that Western is very strict on their requirements. Are you saying you graduated with a four year degree, and that you have now started a second undergraduate degree? If you had two years from your first undergraduate degree with 30 credits in each of those two years, and you met the 3.7 GPA cut off in each of those two 30 credit undergraduate years, I do not know why you need to worry about your fifth year. You qualify for an interview at Western if you have two 30 credit undergraduate years, with a 3.7 in each of those years (or whatever the new cut-off is this year) AND you have at least a 129 on CARS (or whatever the new cut off is this year) AND you submitted the Abbreviated ABS by the October 15, 2018 deadline (assuming you did well on those essays). I believe that your second undergraduate degree is irrelevant UNLESS you do not meet the criteria from your FIRST undergraduate degree. 

Thank you for the reply medabe! Sorry for not being clear. 

I graduated from my first degree in June 2018. I didn't get any medical schools last year. So I enrolled in a second degree to complete the pre-reqs for American schools (Orgo., English, Physics) that I didn't have.

I only got my MCAT on Tuesday with a 129 in CARS, my cGPA is 3.92. I submitted my detailed ABS on-time. I didn't know at the time I would qualify for Western, but this year is to qualify myself for as many medical schools as possible. So that is my story.

Anyways, I guess the point is I got scared by the message "If you are currently enrolled in a second undergraduate degree program, you are eligible to apply during the final year of your new program."

Since I am a first year in this new program, I was wondering if I qualified?

3 hours ago, Nga said:

Thank you for the reply medabe! Sorry for not being clear. 

I graduated from my first degree in June 2018. I didn't get any medical schools last year. So I enrolled in a second degree to complete the pre-reqs for American schools (Orgo., English, Physics) that I didn't have.

I only got my MCAT on Tuesday with a 129 in CARS, my cGPA is 3.92. I submitted my detailed ABS on-time. I didn't know at the time I would qualify for Western, but this year is to qualify myself for as many medical schools as possible. So that is my story.

Anyways, I guess the point is I got scared by the message "If you are currently enrolled in a second undergraduate degree program, you are eligible to apply during the final year of your new program."

Since I am a first year in this new program, I was wondering if I qualified?

GIve the admission office a call.

17 hours ago, MitralLunar said:

GIve the admission office a call.

Did anyone end up clearing this up with admissions yet? I am thinking of entering a second undergrad degree as well, but I was under the impression that I could only apply in the final year of the undergrad degree? Also, is a two year undergrad degree that is equivalent to a four year degree also acceptable, say a two year BScN in an accelerated nursing program? 

1 hour ago, T-cell said:

Did anyone end up clearing this up with admissions yet? I am thinking of entering a second undergrad degree as well, but I was under the impression that I could only apply in the final year of the undergrad degree? Also, is a two year undergrad degree that is equivalent to a four year degree also acceptable, say a two year BScN in an accelerated nursing program? 

The two relevant parts to know are

Applicants who embark on a second undergraduate degree program are eligible to apply during the final year of their new program. In order to be considered for GPA purposes, the second degree must be equivalent to a four-year degree. In this situation, GPA consideration will be based only on the two best years of the second degree program. Course load and course level requirements for the second degree are analogous to the requirements of the first degree. Applicants who are given a conditional offer must complete all program requirements for the second degree by June 30th.

and 

Applicants who complete the requirements of a four-year undergraduate degree (20 full or equivalent courses) in less than four years may apply to the medical program without penalty. However, they will still be judged on the GPA achieved in their two best years during which they have completed a full course load 

• 5 weeks later...

I am a second degree applicant and I've done extensive research on this topic both reading their policies, speaking to them on the phone and also in person.  AFAIK, you would be considered a second degree applicant, thus all of your first degree GPA would not be eligible AT ALL to be used in your GPA calculation.  However, the school year is not over; why not speak to your faculty academic office and change your status to a special student in the same faculty?  Sounds like you have no intentions of finishing this "second degree" so why not simply change your status to a non-program specific full time student?  I believe if you do this, your eligibility will remain intact; double check with them however.  I don't believe this method will work if you finish your current year as it'll have shown that you've started your second degree already.

@T-cell  Yup!  There are many cases of successful applicants getting in this way.

7 hours ago, Apex said:

I am a second degree applicant and I've done extensive research on this topic both reading their policies, speaking to them on the phone and also in person.  AFAIK, you would be considered a second degree applicant, thus all of your first degree GPA would not be eligible AT ALL to be used in your GPA calculation.  However, the school year is not over; why not speak to your faculty academic office and change your status to a special student in the same faculty?  Sounds like you have no intentions of finishing this "second degree" so why not simply change your status to a non-program specific full time student?  I believe if you do this, your eligibility will remain intact; double check with them however.  I don't believe this method will work if you finish your current year as it'll have shown that you've started your second degree already.

@T-cell  Yup!  There are many cases of successful applicants getting in this way.

Do you know when Western posted this policy on their website? I am wondering about those that completed second degrees before the policy was posted (if they did not know about second degree course level requirements)

On 11/21/2018 at 10:38 PM, medhopeful'17 said:

Do you know when Western posted this policy on their website? I am wondering about those that completed second degrees before the policy was posted (if they did not know about second degree course level requirements)

I'm not sure which part of the policy you're referring to but Western changed their second degree policy in 2015 if I recall correctly.  Unfortunately this left some prospective second applicants to change the structure of their second degree in order to conform to the new policy (I myself included).  I don't believe any consideration is given on when you completed your second degree; it has to meet the policy standards.  

Archived