Premed 101 Forums

Chances for invite

I've talked to some people about this but what is the general consensus on OOP vs IP? Do OOP applicants have to generally have better stats? I ask because I'm OOP and my stats are

cGPA 3.65 (maybe 3.7 by the time I'm done my degree, in my last year).

CARS 130.

CASPer:  Assume average-above average but how this is truly scored who knows.

I've already posted in the chance me thread and someone told me I have a shot and should apply. But in general how many successful OOP applicants do you guys see at Mac? Should I rewrite my 130 CARS and aim for 131/132?  At a loss here. McMaster is my top choice of school due to the fact I already know what I want to do and the 3 years vs 4 is very appealing to me (and my budget!). Would welcome any feedback/advice.

59 minutes ago, caramilk said:

Both of their GPAs are above average so how is that very low? See here the mean admitted GPA was 3.87 this last entry. 

@caramilk It's simple statistics... If you look at the DISTRIBUTION, you will see that the absolute majority are within 3.9-4.0. The mean is only 3.87 because low 3.0's disturb the average (plus those are probably ppl with master/ Ph.D. and high scorers in the other two sections). Therefore 3.88 and 3.9 are definitely below average.

• 1 hour ago, MitralLunar said:

@caramilk It's simple statistics... If you look at the DISTRIBUTION, you will see that the absolute majority are within 3.9-4.0. The mean is only 3.87 because low 3.0's disturb the average (plus those are probably ppl with master/ Ph.D. and high scorers in the other two sections). Therefore 3.88 and 3.9 are definitely below average.

However, you have to consider that he is asking for his chance for an interview and those stats are based on those accepted. Since 550 are interviewed vs about 200 who are accepted, it would be relatively safe to assume that the average to receive an interview would be a low 3.8 and a 128 ish. In which case their gpa is slightly above whereas their CARS is below... needless to say an above average CASPer is necessary, but probably not a top percentile one.

10 hours ago, MitralLunar said:

Yeah the admission stats are likely inflated above interview stats. Also, most people use the term average and mean interchangeably, even the “Excel” average function spits out the arithmetic mean, so no, these scores are not below average. They might be below the median score, but since the McMaster equation uses the mean (or average) of all three scores, I’m not certain it matters what the median is for one single score. Statistics are never simple lol. But I agree, a really solid CASPER would help their chances since with that CARS score they’re probably on the cusp.

Archived