Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

Applied + (PT or OT?): OT Dal, McGill, UofT, Queens
Accepted: Dalhousie, McGill, UofT, Queens
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: 3.75 cgpa and s-gpa
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: No interviews, essay about why I wanted to be an OT was pretty strong, didn’t feel too confident about the other one but I spent a lot of time on it and re-read it 101 times before pressing send; reference letters came from my volunteer supervisor at the nursing home (strong relationship, always worked well under her, known her for 5+ years) and my chemistry professor (known me for 4 years, saw me through some very character-building times and spoke to that I’m assuming)

Best of luck to everyone trying to decide which schools to attend and for those on the waitlist I hope it moves up quickly for you and you’re not waiting with bated breath for too long!!!

1 minute ago, n1ckiminaj said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): OT Dal, McGill, UofT, Queens
Accepted: Dalhousie, McGill, UofT, Queens
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: 3.75 cgpa and s-gpa
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: No interviews, essay about why I wanted to be an OT was pretty strong, didn’t feel too confident about the other one but I spent a lot of time on it and re-read it 101 times before pressing send; reference letters came from my volunteer supervisor at the nursing home (strong relationship, always worked well under her, known her for 5+ years) and my chemistry professor (known me for 4 years, saw me through some very character-building times and spoke to that I’m assuming)

Best of luck to everyone trying to decide which schools to attend and for those on the waitlist I hope it moves up quickly for you and you’re not waiting with bated breath for too long!!!

Congrats! Do you know where you’ll be attending?

I’m posting this for any future applicants- feel free to reach out to me! If you can dream it you can do it...never lose hope!

Applied (All OT): McGill, McMaster, Queen’s, Toronto, Western
Accepted: McGill, McMaster, Queen’s, Toronto
Waitlisted: Western
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 3.79 sGPA: 3.81
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 5 years working as a PTA (reference letter from physiotherapist), 2.5 years working as a research assistant in an exercise physiology lab (reference letter from principal investigator who is also my prof), honours thesis involved developing an exercise program for persons with neurological impairments, received an undergraduate research scholarship, volunteer rehabilitation assistant in an exercise program for persons with disabilities, shadowed a pediatric OT, on the executive team of 3 university clubs throughout my undergrad, worked as a sales associate for 3 years and received multiple awards from the company, valedictorian of my graduating class in high school, recipient of multiple scholarships and student leadership awards. I worked on my essay/personal statement for many months, perfecting them until I was happy! My MMI at McMaster went as good as it could have, I practiced with friends and that really helped me out! Casper went very well, I felt confident!  

Since I was in high school, I have known that I wanted to be an OT. To have this day finally arrive is absolutely a dream come true, I am so grateful!!!!!! :)

Congrats to everyone who received an acceptance! Your hard work and efforts have all payed off! Even though we’re just a bunch of strangers behind keyboards it’s been extremely comforting to know I am not alone in this (very long) process, so thank you! All the best in your future endeavors! :)

2 minutes ago, OThopefully said:

Congrats! Do you know where you’ll be attending?

I just declined Dalhousie (too close to home, want to branch out) and I’ve been very attached to Montreal for so long so probably McGill! But will be weighing pros n cons for a couple days before I make a final decision between McGill, UofT and Queens :) 

Just now, OTAPPLICANT026 said:

Anyone who got waitlisted for Western: did you receive the blue square meaning "waitlist accepted" instead of "waitlist offered"? Also does it say '3 2019'?

Ya, they sent out an email explaining it. The 3 means we are in the lower third of the list, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, thysiopherapy said:

Got accepted to Queens and Western PT! I'm still waiting on the others, anyone hear from UofT or Mac PT?

I got into UofT and Mac but haven't heard from Queens or Western, I wonder if the delay means no acceptance or waitlisted possibly..? Still hopeful though!