Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

On 10/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, rjfried said:

Hello fellow applicants!  I am very excited to be applying this year!

Applied + (PT or OT?): Western OT (1st time)
Accepted: Western OT
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa; cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.99 (i think)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have worked/ volunteered in multiple settings as a Recreation Therapy student in mental health, geriatrics, accessibility planning, community Alzheimer's programs, and community inclusion initiatives.  I have also worked underneath both OTs and PTs in a clinical hospital setting for rehab after strokes/ car accidents, mental health, and home care.  I have also volunteered as a fitness instructor for clients battling illnesses such as cancer and heart disease, as a camp instructor in expressive arts camps for children with disabilities and abroad doing healthcare education/ promotion in rural villages. Western doesn't ask for references but the Dean of my faculty has volunteered to be my reference if needed. The Western OT program also has the CASPER test this year which I am nervous about but it should go well!

Looking forward to professional program preview day at Western this weekend.  I am so excited that it is finally time to apply! I have been debating between OT and Nursing since high school!! :)  Good luck everyone :) 

Hey Everyone!  I was accepted to Western.  I see everyone is talking about the "3 2019" on the student center.  I have also been seeing this for a few weeks now.  I am not sure what it means, but because we are all seeing it I don't think it has to do with the waitlist. 

I am SO excited to meet everyone who will be attending Western.  Best of luck to everyone with their decisions and with everyone still waiting to hear!!:)

7 hours ago, OTschool2019 said:

Thank you for this number ! I’m a second time applicant. I didn’t get in despite having a higher GPA this time around ! I guess I wasn’t meant to be an OT. 

If you need someone to talk to feel free to message me. I was rejected last year so I know how it feels. If you feel this is your calling apply again next year. Use the rejection as motivation and don't let not getting in this year define you. You are an amazing human and don't think you are any less worthy because of this little road block. All people in my opinion with greatest success stories are those who were rejected, told they weren't good enough or failed at something but they viewed it as just another obstacle to over come. I'm sending you positive vibes and encouragement that you will succeed in whatever avenues life has you journey down. ♡♡♡

2 hours ago, Otmaybe said:

Accepted to Western OT, waitlisted for U of T, rejected from MAc OT. A note to all hopefuls that haven’t heard back for 2019...don’t get discouraged! I’m a second time applicant with a low sub gpa (3.66, and low cumulative gpa 3.51) and I used the year off to get work and volunteer experience. It’s so easy to get down on yourself especially I you have your heart set on OT, but apply again! I also applied to nursing and other programs to keep my options open: but am very glad I tried OT again. I put some serious effort into the application and got it peer reviewed, and having prior experience with CASPAR I think helped (I had done it before for an application last year). Good luck to everyone out there and keep your spirits up! 

Congrats! Did you have an interview for Mac OT before you got declined? 

2 hours ago, Futureot said:

I got waitlisted upper third for Western. 

Declined for Mac and UofT

I haven't heard back from Queen's but also somehow just realized I never got a confirmation of application email from them despite applying alongside all my other schools-anyone else experience this?

Did you get a chance for an interview for MacOT before the decline? 

23 minutes ago, PTT said:

Accepted to Queen's PT, rejected from Western PT, and have not heard back from Mac. Mac's mosaic still says "pending"... anyone else's Mac application say this?

I haven’t heard back from Mac for PT yet, still says pending for me, but heard back from the other three!

On 1/9/2019 at 7:16 PM, PTHope2021 said:

Applied: PT --> Queens, UWO, Mac, UofT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa: 3.82, sub-gpa: 3.92
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

References are strong; shadowed at 3 outpatient PT clinics for 6 months (~200 hours), 1 cardiac rehab centre for 3 months (~50 hours), started my own dance program for seniors, working administrative job for last 4 years, former clinical research assistant for paediatric studies, 12 years volunteering with a non-profit organization planning fundraisers and events,  multiple service learning trips abroad to Asia and Africa conducting community infrastructure development. 

Not sure how competitive I am but hopefully I receive one acceptance! Good luck everyone :)

Update: Rejected from UofT, UWO

Accepted: Queens

Still have not heard back from Mac but I guess that means a rejection. Happy to be accepted to Queens and looking forward to meeting everyone in September!:)

4 minutes ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

Has anyone gotten any word back from uOttawa? No email, it's blank on ORPAS and still says the same thing it's said since feb on the uOttawa login site: Appplication Under Evaluation. Not sure if this just means I didn't get in - someone told me that uOttawa sends emails late but still...

I got an email this morning saying a decision has been made, however when I login to uzone and orpas it is blank!

Applied: Western, Queens, Toronto (PT)
Accepted: Toronto, Western, Queens
Waitlisted: 
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa: yikes sub-gpa: 3.92
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

300 hours in private clinics, 500 hours in research settings, 200 hours in hospitals, 100 hours in outpatient program, 75 hours in community programs, 25 hours in public health promotion, multiple school athletic teams, publication, multiple school awards+scholarships.

To the people that did not receive an offer this year, keep your head up. You can only be denied so long, persistence will pay off.

I am in total shock today. I didn't expect to get accepted to one of the Ontario schools, let alone 3.

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal, UofT, Queens, Western (OT)
Accepted: Dal, UofT, Queens, Western
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: s-GPA: 3.91/4.3, (Dal), 3.79 (c-GPA), 3.81 (s-GPA)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: One from my undergraduate Honours supervisor, and another from a professor that I also do research with. For UofT and Queen's, I used a professional reference who I worked with in a rehabilitation program. Unsure of how my ORPAS essays were, but I don't believe they were exceptional. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal, Queens, Western and U of T (All PT)
Accepted: U of T
Waitlisted: Western (upper third), Dal
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: ORPAS s-gpa 3.82
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: No email from queens for PT so assuming waitlisted despite receiving the scholarship email! Guess my CAP went well. U of T was first choice anyway so accepting the offer! Best of luck everyone else. 

Applied: Western, Toronto, Queens, and Mac (All OT)
Accepted: Western, Toronto, Queens and Mac
Waitlisted: 
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa:3.48 sub-gpa: 3.87

I'm still torn between U of T and Mac. But it's 100% going to be one of them, so I hope that frees up the waitlist for Western and Queen's for some of you. 

I have been looking at these forums for years for all kinds of different programs so it only felt right to contribute now that I can 

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT UWO, UofT and Queens 
Accepted:UWO and UofT
Waitlisted:
Rejected:Queens
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: cGPA 3.31 and  sGPA3.92 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I had one reference from my classical studies prof and one from my volunteer supervisor (so not PT related at all)

ALL my PT experience was recent (as in within 7 months before the application deadline) so if PT is a new career path option for you don't get discouraged. I shadowed a PT for 20 hours in a nonconventional setting (for patients without health coverage). I worked with people with spinal cord injuries in an electrical stimulation program for 4 months (most of which was after I submitted my application). I worked at a hospice with terminally ill patients for over 200 hours (again within 7 months of application time). I volunteered extensively with the international community at my school (over 900 hours) and also worked part time all through undergrad. 

For people applying to western in the future I got the chance to get some advice from someone who reads the personal statements and he said that when reading it they want to know that you genuinely want to be a PT and know what the field is about. They want to know why you chose UWO specifically (and nothing that you can find on the website, they want to know that you really looked into it). And they want you to highlight how your specific experience makes you a unique candidate for Western specifically.  

ALSO LOR ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Choose people who can speak about you extensively NOT a prof that agreed to write you a recommendation just because you did well in their class and really doesnt know you that well. They can tell when letters are insincere so make sure this person adores you and could speak to your qualities at length.  

•  

Accepted for OT at Toronto, Mac and Western. However I was placed at the Mississauga campus for Toronto I was really hoping to be at St George as I live right near there! Does anyone know if I can change this ?? Did anyone get accepted to St George that thinks they might decline?

For Future Applicants:

Applied: Western, Queens, Toronto, Mcmaster (All PT)

Accepted: Queens

Waitlisted: Western

Rejected: Mcmaster

GPA: c-gpa= 3.69 , s-gpa= 3.96

In terms of experience nothing extraordinary, volunteered with hospital elder life program for about 150 hours, and with children treatment centre for about 50 hours. I spent quite a good amount of time writing my Queens essay, I did the CASPER test early and did not feel that I did good enough. 

To everyone who is upset they didn't get in please listen to me..

as you can see by my username this year was my FOURTH time applying. I was accepted into Uoft my top choice, waitlisted at UofA and previously waitlisted at Mac but never got an interview. Before this cycle I was never even on any wait lists. Do not lose hope!!! I literally don't even know my GPA bc I never understood those things haha. Feel free to message me!

I am a U of T OT student and I have some subjective information that I'm going to share that I wish I knew before going into the program. 
Pros:
1. You get to live in downtown Toronto and so you're closer to many hospitals and opportunities
2. You have many more placement options because of this and most have been long-established teaching hospitals so they're usually good with having students around. 
3. Going to U of T/having connections in Toronto will likely help you get a job in Toronto. 
4. If research is something you're interested in, you get to do a huge research project

Cons:
1. They keep expanding the program under the guise that there's an increasing demand of OTs although many jobs now are contract/part-time and the market is quite saturated. The program was already larger than most programs (80-100 students) at St. George campus in and this year they've accepted 130 since they expanded to UTM.  The format is live videos of lecturers from St George campus with occasional classes taking place at UTM. Class discussion are made much more difficult and honestly with this many people (and the technological barriers), it can be a more difficult learning environment. They may make adjustments to the year going forwards though.  
2. I suppose I don't know much about other OT programs but this program is heavily focused on THEORY and RESEARCH. Aside from placements, we don't learn as much clinically as I would like. But since I don't know about other programs - this isn't necessarily just a con for this school.
3. Faculty/ higher admin - they teach work accommodations in class but when students need educational accommodation (physical/mental health) the admin will try to reject them or even ask them to drop out. They get defensive when concerns are brought up and it's frustrating considering the amount of money we pay for a master's level education. 
4. LEAP/Role-emerging. They started them this current year - it's a mandatory placement where there is no OT or OT role.There are many non-clinical roles in which students are working on graphic design or just doing research for projects at hospitals. 
5. Placements - there are several problems aside from just the LEAP fieldwork. For first fieldwork they barely let you pick your fieldwork setting, you put down 15 locations and they place you in a placement at random (it used to be only 10 placement pickings). Many placements are outside of DT Toronto - predominantly North York. For fieldwork 2-4 they allow you to pick the exact placement you want that is available in your list of 15. But they also make you pick one placement outside of Toronto so even though you may be at U of T St George, they may ship you out to Markham, Brampton, etc. Placements will sometimes have two or three preceptors who all have different expectations of what you should be doing. 

You can pm me if you have more questions. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): McGill, McMaster, Western and Queens (OT + PT)
Accepted: McGill OT + PT, Queens OT + PT, and Western OT + PT
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: McMaster OT + PT
GPA: cGPA 3.44 (3.54 @ McGill) subGPA 3.73
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My Queen's essays were strong - 600 hours of PTA/OTA experience in a TBI clinic, 600 hours of PTA experience in a private MSK clinic, 60 hours of PTA experience in LTC, 200 hours of research assistant experience, working with older adults with dementia, 1200 hours of recreation department volunteer experience in a LTC facility, and a season working as head coach of a high school girl's rugby team. 

I'm assuming my CASPer score was strong, given my acceptances at McGill and Western with a lower GPA. I practiced for the CASPer by finding every possible practice question online, and giving myself 5 minutes to actually type the answers, which really helped with my time management. 

I will be accepting my offer to Queen's PT, so wishing those on McGill, Western and Queen's OT waitlists good luck! Hopefully you hear good news soon. As for future applicants - don't let a GPA in the 3.7s put you down!