Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

3 minutes ago, Teaandbiscuits said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): All PT - Western, Queens, U of T, Mac
Accepted: Mac
Waitlisted: Western, Queens 
Rejected: I declined U of T CAP (Out of country)
GPA:c-gpa - 3.52 and s-gpa: 3.9 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essays were pretty run of the mill, great references from MSc supervisor and other supervisors during undergrad. I have quite a bit of volunteering but not much PT specific (maybe ~60 hrs at a PT unit in Uni hospital). Working currently as a researcher in SCI, have a MSc in neuro and diverse research experience throughout undergrad.

I sincerely hope that all those who received bad news can find the strength to continue. 

are you going to Mac if Queens or Western accept you off the waitlist?

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT - Western, Queens, U of T, Mac
Accepted: Queens
Waitlisted: Western, Mac, UofT
Rejected: 
GPA:c-gpa - 3.62 and s-gpa: 3.78 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essays were pretty good! I felt confident in them and that they really showed my passion for OT. My references were from a professor I had a very small class with and knew me well, as well as a supervisor I volunteered for throughout my third year at university in a program for seniors with aphasia. My other volunteer experiences include: speech camp (back from my aspiring slp days), volunteering for a pediatric OT in private practice, the hospital elder life program, as well as being a research assistant in a child development lab. I also talked about my grandfather in the essay who had Alzheimer's and how this inspired me to be an OT. I just accepted my offer to Queens and am very excited for the fall! Best of luck to everyone on waitlists and to those who didn't get in this year keep working hard and don't give up I believe in you!!! :) 

12 hours ago, PT/OT2019 said:

For me just letting time pass always helps. It can feel slow but as my memories become more distant so do my feelings associated with them. Failure is a part of life and everyone goes through it so you are not alone. No matter what, you will find your place, and develop meaning for yourself regardless of what you do specifically. When I was not offered a spot last year I decided what to do to keep moving towards my goals. I prioritized my professional, academic, and personal development in spaces that WERE made available to me. I didn't focus on what was NOT available to me. You will always have opportunities if you look for them and act on them. You can always keep developing. I have learned to enjoy the journey, and do my best to take care of myself while still aiming for ambitious goals. You should always be proud of the hard work you've done to  get where you are. Be confident that your drive will take you somewhere meaningful. Let yourself be sad for now, it is healthy and normal to let yourself feel. But also realize you have that sadness because you know what happiness feels like and you will feel happiness again too. 

Beautifully written, thank you! I'm sure many now and in the future will appreciate these sentiments :) 

Hey everyone, 

I got accepted to PT at Western and Queens and was placed on the UofT waitlist. I honestly think UofT would be my first choice, but I dont want to risk not accepting an offer and then not getting into UofT from the waitlist. It looks like I can provisionally accept an offer to possibly tell western that I would like to go to UofT if I get in off the waitlist, but I don't know how to go about doing this. 

From ORPAS: "Only 1 offer of admission may be accepted at a time; however, if you provisionally accept an offer, you may indicate that you wish for your applications to other rehabilitation sciences programs in the same discipline to remain active." - Does this mean what I think it means? For reference, I have to accept an offer by May 31st and UofT only contacts waitlist people after June 1st. (I was also fairly high on the waitlist, so there is a pretty good chance). 

Thanks for the help !

4 hours ago, i-hope-i-get-it said:

Hey everyone, 

I got accepted to PT at Western and Queens and was placed on the UofT waitlist. I honestly think UofT would be my first choice, but I dont want to risk not accepting an offer and then not getting into UofT from the waitlist. It looks like I can provisionally accept an offer to possibly tell western that I would like to go to UofT if I get in off the waitlist, but I don't know how to go about doing this. 

From ORPAS: "Only 1 offer of admission may be accepted at a time; however, if you provisionally accept an offer, you may indicate that you wish for your applications to other rehabilitation sciences programs in the same discipline to remain active." - Does this mean what I think it means? For reference, I have to accept an offer by May 31st and UofT only contacts waitlist people after June 1st. (I was also fairly high on the waitlist, so there is a pretty good chance). 

Thanks for the help !

Hey, if you go on ORPAS and click "offer" next to Western (if that's where you want to go after UofT) it will take you to a page, and then you have the option to firmly accept or provisionally accept, and then select the school you are waiting to hear from. I've never provisionally accepted before but maybe check with Western as well :) Congrats on your offers!

Hey everyone,

I've been waitlisted at uOttawa for OT, and the university stated not to contact them for waitlist positions or chances of getting in, so I was just wondering if anyone had any information on waitlist movements to get into the program?

Any information would be really helpful, thanks!!

Hi Everyone! 

I am was offered a spot at both UofT and McMaster. My heart is set on UofT but the only thing I have some worry about is the placements. I will be moving to Toronto (I currently live closer to Hamilton) and will not be bringing my car. I do have access to it if needed. I know there are many opportunities to be placed within the city (which i am sure everyone prefers) and that public transit is available most of the time. My only worry is that on the site, UofT mentions the catchment area is "Durham Region (Ajax, Whitby, Pickering), and York Region (Aurora, Central York Region, Maple, Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, South West York Region, South East York Region, Stouffville, Thornhill, Vaughan)" (in addition to downtown and Mississauga areas).  Does the school work with you to try to accommodate our preferences? I am aware that nothing is guaranteed, just curious as to how brutal placements can get? Has anyone had to relocate entirely? 

Are there any current students or others who have any thoughts or input on placements while at UofT (downtown campus)? I am likely creating unnecessary stress for myself but would still like to hear others opinions.

Many thanks!!

44 minutes ago, Hopefulpt2019 said:

does anyone know how much the OOP waitlist for UofA PT usually moves?

I’ve seen 20-25 people on here but I’d imagine that’s for both the in province and OOP waitlist combined 

I was lurking the 2018 forum and saw someone stated they were in the top 7 of the OOP waitlist and had gotten in and they assumed they were b/w spots 5-7 otherwise they’d have been told they were in the top 5. Hope this helps a little bit! 

50 minutes ago, OThopefully said:

I was lurking the 2018 forum and saw someone stated they were in the top 7 of the OOP waitlist and had gotten in and they assumed they were b/w spots 5-7 otherwise they’d have been told they were in the top 5. Hope this helps a little bit! 

any chance you might know how much Dal PT waitlist moved in the past? It was hard for me to find any details

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT- U of T, UBC OT- McMaster
Accepted: U of T and McMaster
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: UBC after interview
GPA:c-gpa - 3.86 and s-gpa: 3.86 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: A lot of clinical and research experience in neurological populations and with physical disabilities. Research at Waterloo and Toronto Rehab. Clinical assistant at Toronto Rehab with stroke and brain injury, rehab therapist with brain injury and personal support worker for physical disabilities. Good references from these placements.

Leaning towards OT, so most likely a spot opening up at U of T for PT!

20 hours ago, theripper67 said:

Hi Everyone! 

I am was offered a spot at both UofT and McMaster. My heart is set on UofT but the only thing I have some worry about is the placements. I will be moving to Toronto (I currently live closer to Hamilton) and will not be bringing my car. I do have access to it if needed. I know there are many opportunities to be placed within the city (which i am sure everyone prefers) and that public transit is available most of the time. My only worry is that on the site, UofT mentions the catchment area is "Durham Region (Ajax, Whitby, Pickering), and York Region (Aurora, Central York Region, Maple, Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, South West York Region, South East York Region, Stouffville, Thornhill, Vaughan)" (in addition to downtown and Mississauga areas).  Does the school work with you to try to accommodate our preferences? I am aware that nothing is guaranteed, just curious as to how brutal placements can get? Has anyone had to relocate entirely? 

Are there any current students or others who have any thoughts or input on placements while at UofT (downtown campus)? I am likely creating unnecessary stress for myself but would still like to hear others opinions.

Many thanks!!

First of all, congratulations on the acceptances! From my understanding, the placements are a lottery so there are no guarantees. I was talking to a few of the physiotherapy students at U of T and some of their classmates had placements in Missausaga and Scarborough. They had to either commute or relocate. However, there is always public transit options available. 

I was just wondering if anyone else was on the wait list for OT at Mac to receive an interview? I haven’t received a call, no e-mail stating a rejection, ORPAS is not updated and Mosaic states my app is pending. Anyone have an idea if I’m rejected or when they will send out a confirmation? Thanks in advance :) 

16 minutes ago, PapaTango said:

I was just wondering if anyone else was on the wait list for OT at Mac to receive an interview? I haven’t received a call, no e-mail stating a rejection, ORPAS is not updated and Mosaic states my app is pending. Anyone have an idea if I’m rejected or when they will send out a confirmation? Thanks in advance :) 

I was also waitlisted for MAC OT's Interview - at this point I've no doubt it's a rejection, because the last chance we would have heard from them for an interview was at end March :) Best of luck for the next round!