Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

6 hours ago, FuturePT1 said:

Does anyone know for sure if Queen's over accepts for PT? Or do they just send out an exact amount of initial offers and then go down the waitlist from there?

I know a few years ago someone posted a video from a Queens PT informational session and it was specifically mentioned that they send 125 offers for 75 spots.

https://stream.queensu.ca/hapi/v1/contents/permalinks/Ji38Bwj5/view

Thats the video around the 10 minute mark. 

I sincerely hope they changed their strategy since then and send more waitlist offers and less acceptances. 

I’m on the Queens PT waitlist and am anxiously awaiting any movement. 

10 hours ago, GenericPTUsername2019 said:

I know a few years ago someone posted a video from a Queens PT informational session and it was specifically mentioned that they send 125 offers for 75 spots.

https://stream.queensu.ca/hapi/v1/contents/permalinks/Ji38Bwj5/view

Thats the video around the 10 minute mark. 

I sincerely hope they changed their strategy since then and send more waitlist offers and less acceptances. 

I’m on the Queens PT waitlist and am anxiously awaiting any movement. 

Oh no I hope that's not the case this year! What number are you on the waitlist? I'm also really hoping the waitlist moves it's my only shot 

1 hour ago, FuturePT1 said:

Oh no I hope that's not the case this year! What number are you on the waitlist? I'm also really hoping the waitlist moves it's my only shot 

Im in the exact same boat as you, Queens is my only hope to start PT in September. I’m waitlisted in the early 20s. 

If I were to speculate I’d say that a little less than 125 acceptances were sent out because based on this forum from 2013-2016 there was a lot less waitlist movement. There were roughly  20-30 people accepted from the waitlist each year in the last two years. That video is from 2016 so things could’ve changed since then. 

13 minutes ago, GenericPTUsername2019 said:

Im in the exact same boat as you, Queens is my only hope to start PT in September. I’m waitlisted in the early 20s. 

If I were to speculate I’d say that a little less than 125 acceptances were sent out because based on this forum from 2013-2016 there was a lot less waitlist movement. There were roughly  20-30 people accepted from the waitlist each year in the last two years. That video is from 2016 so things could’ve changed since then. 

Ohh that makes sense I hope you're right! Hopefully we both make it, I know how tough it is to feel like your dreams are so out of reach :(

18 hours ago, UWO PT top third waitliste said:

First round offers expire may 31st, which means that if you don't accept McMaster OT, your completely relying on Western to go through its wait list (Which is what im doing since i didn't get offers anywhere else). 

I've called western multiple times to ask if they can give me any info on its wait-list trends and etc. but they wont disclose anything. All I know is that they over accept in anticipation of people not accepting their offers and since they removed English as their prerequisite they have more applicants now and are giving out more offers this year then previous years. 

So unless your willing to risk a year off accepting OT would be your best option. Best of luck on whatever you decide though.

BTW im also in the upper third with a sub-GPA of 3.89 so im hoping that Im closer to the top of the wait list 

I don't think your GPA has any merit of where you are on the waitlist. AFAIK, they only use your GPA and CASPer test score to determine if you are a top 300 applicant (essentially all applicants that receive an acceptance and are put on the waitlist) but after that, they just look at your overall application (references, personal statement, experiences, awards). 

1 hour ago, NewAtThis said:

I don't think your GPA has any merit of where you are on the waitlist. AFAIK, they only use your GPA and CASPer test score to determine if you are a top 300 applicant (essentially all applicants that receive an acceptance and are put on the waitlist) but after that, they just look at your overall application (references, personal statement, experiences, awards). 

173 were placed on the waitlist (via the waitlist email). 75 spots are available to students. So Im wondering if some of the top 300 were outright rejected. Unless they offered 127 students expecting only 75 to accept (seems a little high however).

19 hours ago, TorontoGoose said:

173 were placed on the waitlist (via the waitlist email). 75 spots are available to students. So Im wondering if some of the top 300 were outright rejected. Unless they offered 127 students expecting only 75 to accept (seems a little high however).

I think Western is definitely one of those programs that over accepts but giving out over 50 more acceptances than spots available seems ridiculous so you might be right.

Has anyone accepted their offer to Queens for OT and received more information on the program? In the offer letter it states once we accept they will forward details on the program coursework and clinical fieldwork. I haven't made the decision to accept yet but I wanted to have some more information before I make my decision. If anyone received a follow up email after accepting their offer could you kindly share any details.

1 hour ago, PPTTT said:

hot damn!! No cosigner? I'll be calling them tomorrow!!

That's what they told me, they said something along the lines of they will look at our projected income and base it off that (75000 for starting OT's-which I think is a little high but whatevs)! I'm applying for it next week :)

12 hours ago, TeacherOT said:

Maybe you folks can help me out - I’m wondering what the benefits are for getting a line of credit vs. student loans? Finances are my biggest stressor when I consider the summer and next year and any advice would be great! 

From my understanding, a student loan is a way to borrow a specific amount of money (ex. $20,000). After receiving and using this amount of money, you would have to pay back the bank the $20,000 plus whatever interest rate was agreed upon. Interest rates can vary by bank and your financial situation. This would be payed back after a certain amount of time (for example, OSAP is a loan that gives you a 6-month grace period in which you don't have to pay anything back - however they still charge you interest). 

A line of credit is a more flexible borrowing option where you apply for a certain credit limit (ex. $20,000 again). If you are approved, you can use as much or as little of that $20,000 that you want. One major difference is that you would be paying the interest on whatever you do use, say $14,000 of the $20,000. You can also be re-approved annually so that $20,000 could be applied to both years of your program of study for a total of $40,000.

This is just from my understanding. I'd reach out to your financial advisor or bank to see what option is best for you. Hope this helps!