Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

I just received an offer from Western University that I will be accepting! I was in the top section of the waitlist, don’t loose hope if you are on the waitlist!! This was also my second year applying and I received a waitlist at UBC as well where my first year I had just received rejections. 

All the best to those reapplying and those on waitlist! 

Hi guys,

For those of you who'll try again next year, either for OT or PT, I'm pretty sure that some of you guyz are pretty good in French and should consider applying in the French speaking Universities in Québec. I've read a lot of messages here stating that people are up to their third or fourth attemps. The programs here are either 4 or 4 1/2 years, it's a bit longer than other canadian Universities, but you should consider applying at Université de Montréal, Université Laval or Université de Sherbrooke (I graduated from that University myself and am now a teacher there as well as a clinician taking interns at the hospital I work at). There are some reserved places for OOP applicants (most years, they're not even filled since ROC students fear applying because of the language barrier, which isn't that big of a deal... some anglophones studied with us and they were sufficient enough in French to do well in all courses).

If you have questions about what I'm saying here, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll tell you a bit more about this!

Good luck to all of you guys!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 1:06 AM, PT02 said:

Anyone starting PT this fall know if we should be studying or preparing in some way? Kin wasn't my major and im feeling a bit anxious 

A 2nd year student in the  PT program that I'll be starting this fall told me that you should just relax and enjoy your summer (this was said to me sometime in July) and not to worry about taking additional courses to prepare.

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, OT2019 said:

Hello! Our gpa's are about the same and I am applying this summer. Any tips?

Thanks!

Applied: OT at UWO, UofT and McMaster U

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: C-GPA - 3.24, GPA (20 full credits) - 3.85, Sub-GPA (10 full credits) - 3.9

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

- Volunteer and professional experience: Volunteered at Children's Aid Society of Toronto and Arts Youth Drop in Centre for marginalized and homeless youth in the GTA. I currently work as an Instructor Behaviour Therapist (working with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder) and as an Resource Consultant and Facilitator, helping individuals overcome barriers to employment. I have also shadowed Occupational Therapists in 3 different settings over the course of several months.

- References: I used one work reference and one professor whose lab I volunteered in as well (one work reference and one academic reference as specified by UofT)

• 3 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 11:39 AM, Rajalgool said:

To Brunnel and St. George's. Both In London. They have much lower standards for entrance and the tuition isn't vastly different from Canadian schools. Also seems like there is a good contingency of Canadians at those schools and they try to ensure that you get the necessary practical hours for your board exams. With that being said my GPA from my undergraduate is still too low and they do not look at any upgrades you have done, so I did not even get an invite to Brunnel, still waiting to hear back from St. George. I used Across the Pond to Apply and the advisor was helpful and the service was free. Also, you can still apply. 

Did u get in?

On 8/16/2019 at 8:25 AM, FreddyHeff said:

Hi guys,

For those of you who'll try again next year, either for OT or PT, I'm pretty sure that some of you guyz are pretty good in French and should consider applying in the French speaking Universities in Québec. I've read a lot of messages here stating that people are up to their third or fourth attemps. The programs here are either 4 or 4 1/2 years, it's a bit longer than other canadian Universities, but you should consider applying at Université de Montréal, Université Laval or Université de Sherbrooke (I graduated from that University myself and am now a teacher there as well as a clinician taking interns at the hospital I work at). There are some reserved places for OOP applicants (most years, they're not even filled since ROC students fear applying because of the language barrier, which isn't that big of a deal... some anglophones studied with us and they were sufficient enough in French to do well in all courses).

If you have questions about what I'm saying here, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll tell you a bit more about this!

Good luck to all of you guys!!

You should post a thread in on the main board. I honestly never really felt that it was a possibility for me to study in Quebec. I took french immersion from K-12, but honestly felt so out of practice that I didn't believe it would be possible to survive. Looking back now, I could have taken a couple of classes and brushed up in time to study I think. 

On 4/4/2020 at 7:01 AM, rrxxccooll said:

Did u get in?

Hey there,

I ended up getting into UBC and Limerick, but I did get an interview offer from St. George. I didn't follow through because I got it after I got into UBC. It does seem like they send out interviews on a bit of a rolling basis, depending on how they are filling their seats. 

3 hours ago, Rajalgool said:

Hey there,

I ended up getting into UBC and Limerick, but I did get an interview offer from St. George. I didn't follow through because I got it after I got into UBC. It does seem like they send out interviews on a bit of a rolling basis, depending on how they are filling their seats. 

If you don’t mind, would you share your gpa?

I think they're much less concerned with GPA and more concerned with practical experience. Although, my GPA was not good enough to get an interview at Brunnel. I think that my GPA for my final two years worth of course work was around 3.75 and my ubc competitive gpa was about 85%. You can see that stuff chronicled a bit in my posting history!

11 minutes ago, Rajalgool said:

I think they're much less concerned with GPA and more concerned with practical experience. Although, my GPA was not good enough to get an interview at Brunnel. I think that my GPA for my final two years worth of course work was around 3.75 and my ubc competitive gpa was about 85%. You can see that stuff chronicled a bit in my posting history!

Your GPA is still good. Now it appears that shadowing only one OT is not competitive enough to get into OT school. Right?

1 hour ago, rrxxccooll said:

Your GPA is still good. Now it appears that shadowing only one OT is not competitive enough to get into OT school. Right?

Hey im in PT, but I think the information is transferable. MOT UBC says "your experience must be completed at no more than two facilities/organizations". Its not about how many you shadow/volunteer/work with, its how you can communicate what you've learned from those experiences and how they have prepared you for a career in OT and how you will use those experiences and skills in school and daily practice.

43 minutes ago, maybePT said:

Hey im in PT, but I think the information is transferable. MOT UBC says "your experience must be completed at no more than two facilities/organizations". Its not about how many you shadow/volunteer/work with, its how you can communicate what you've learned from those experiences and how they have prepared you for a career in OT and how you will use those experiences and skills in school and daily practice.

But I think at least how many hours makes a difference 

On 4/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, rrxxccooll said:

I'm not sure. I didn't shadow any PTs. I volunteered at a clinic for about 200 hours of experience. I would say that having a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer experience is important, preferably with disabled people. 

On 6/27/2019 at 9:17 PM, myohmy said:

Finally got a call from uOttawa today with an offer for OT around 2pm. Stats below for future applicants with low GPAs (so hard to find uOttawa info!)

Applied + (PT or OT?): uOttawa (PT+OT)
Accepted: uOttawa OT (off waitlist)
Waitlisted: uOttawa OT
Rejected: uOttawa PT (before interview)
GPA:c-gpa 3.54, s-gpa 3.44 (bombed 2nd and 3rd year lol)

If it's any consolation I called uOttawa a couple weeks back and they said as long as the "class is full" email isn't sent, there's still hope. They mentioned offers being sent out as late as August last year...

Hey! I am a 2020 applicant I was wondering how "french" the program really is, french is my second language so I am a bit nervous. Also, did your class mates generally have a high gpa? I applied with a 3.61 (3rd year killed) and I'm starting to get nervous. I think my resume  and CASPER is strong not sure about the french test (it's new this year) lol. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Biomechanic said:

How did you find out your ranking on the waitlist? Do they tell you where you are on the waitlist once they accept you?

Last year it was written directly in the original email sent to me regarding the application decision. From what I understand based on reading other's posts here, they are not indicating your position on the waitlist this year.