Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

Hi.

I am requesting for your opinions and suggestions to get admission in  Occupational Therapy-OT

Applied +  OT:  in all 4 Ontario universities , Macgill university , Dalhousie university .
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:   On ORPAS webite my  s-gpa;  3.51
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I have  volunteered in OT office for  100 hours and worked as volunteer in a Family Physician office for one year .

I submitted a Resume , a  full Statement and three References from , OT , Family physician and a Professor from UTM . I did 4 years Bachelor degree from UTM.

There are many applicants with good GPA, who applied for both PT as well as OT  admissions. How will ORPAS/ universities ,  decide about OT admissions,if applicant accepts admission offer in PT.??

Your opinions,please ?

I'm sad to say that I just got my rejection saying I wasn't invited to interview. I'm so bummed! I actually didn't even consider the idea that I wouldn't make it to the interview stage - I just assumed I would at least get that far but that I might not make it in. 

@PPTTT are you OOP too? Can I ask what your GPA was like? 

22 minutes ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

I'm sad to say that I just got my rejection saying I wasn't invited to interview. I'm so bummed! I actually didn't even consider the idea that I wouldn't make it to the interview stage - I just assumed I would at least get that far but that I might not make it in. 

I'm sorry to hear! I don't think I calculated mine right but it is around 3.8

24 minutes ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

I’m sorry to hear that. What program/school did you apply to? 

13 hours ago, Michael SD said:

Im a BC applicant and applied to both Alberta and Dal. Haven't heard anything either. Wasn't it supposed to be the middle of march?

Hi,

I applied to U of A’s PT program as an OOP. Received an interview invite about 1.5 weeks ago. Perhaps, you can send a quick email ad follow-up?

45 minutes ago, PPTTT said:

I haven't heard back from U of A yet so I will definitely touch base

Have been lurking on this forum for about a week because I had this same question.  I emailed UAlberta and here is their response:

"I have issued the first and second batches of interview invitations and am awaiting acceptances and declines. The GPA cut-offs for this intake were 4.0 for out-of-province applicants and 3.6 for in-province applicants. Students that are not successful in earning an interview will be notified in early May, as MMI invitations are issued up until the day before the interviews (April 13, April 29).  Thanks for checking in."

So I guess there is hope? Though 4.0 cut-off is extremely high imo. I hope this helps.

FYI:

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT: UBC, UAlberta, Queens, UWestern
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC - no interview offered
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: ORPAS sGPA 3.8, UBC last 10 was 3.86

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:  Decently well-written and reviewed letters of intent, and likely very solid reference letters (one is kept private by the professor). I have experience working at a senior's care home working with individuals with cognitive and physical disabilities, volunteering with the Special Olympics Active Start program, as a PT aide/Kinesiologist in an 8-month coop, and finally volunteering for 100+ hours at a Neuro-focussed physiotherapy clinic.

35 minutes ago, VicPT said:

Have been lurking on this forum for about a week because I had this same question.  I emailed UAlberta and here is their response:

"I have issued the first and second batches of interview invitations and am awaiting acceptances and declines. The GPA cut-offs for this intake were 4.0 for out-of-province applicants and 3.6 for in-province applicants. Students that are not successful in earning an interview will be notified in early May, as MMI invitations are issued up until the day before the interviews (April 13, April 29).  Thanks for checking in."

So I guess there is hope? Though 4.0 cut-off is extremely high imo. I hope this helps.

FYI:

Accepted:
Waitlisted:

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:  Decently well-written and reviewed letters of intent, and likely very solid reference letters (one is kept private by the professor). I have experience working at a senior's care home working with individuals with cognitive and physical disabilities, volunteering with the Special Olympics Active Start program, as a PT aide/Kinesiologist in an 8-month coop, and finally volunteering for 100+ hours at a Neuro-focussed physiotherapy clinic.

Just got a response. It looks like they don't reject until the day before the interviews... so lets hope they run down the list LOL

4 hours ago, PPTTT said:

Is this some kind of joke? That's ridiculous and almost elitist

im a first year at u of a. dont worry its that high as of now because of all those geeky UBC kids applying to U of A as a back up. once results from UBC are out (which should be real soon), U of A will accept more ppl. usually competitive  OOP is 3.9 though . 4.0 is ridiculous .

Also if ur a SFU student your at a disadvantage on U of As 4.0 scale . UBC kids got it lucky with %. 

5 hours ago, VicPT said:

2015 McGill OT grad here ... but ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME 4.0 cut off??!!??? I didn't realize OT/PT got so competitive. 

11 hours ago, VicPT said:

FYI:

Accepted:
Waitlisted:

What's 3.86 in %? (sorry im not good with GPA scale)... also ubc here but I can't believe you didn't get an interview?

also they count last 15 courses not 10? 

15 hours ago, PPTTT said:

now I'm wondering when we will hear back from McGill! Maybe this is just the excitement getting to me!! 

Good Morning,

My Sub  GPA is 3.51 , lower than yours. , which is making me sad, as I did not receive anything yet.

Do they decide just on the basis of GPA or they consider other factors like , the science courses attended, Refrerences ,volunteer work , resume  as well as personal statement   too ??. Is sub GPA by ORPAS is final for decision or all universities make their individual GPA calculations ? .

Kindly put your opinions.

2 hours ago, Maria21 said:

Good Morning,

My Sub  GPA is 3.51 , lower than yours. , which is making me sad, as I did not receive anything yet.

Do they decide just on the basis of GPA or they consider other factors like , the science courses attended, Refrerences ,volunteer work , resume  as well as personal statement   too ??. Is sub GPA by ORPAS is final for decision or all universities make their individual GPA calculations ? .

Kindly put your opinions.

GPA is usually the first and most important factor for admissions. Once you meet the cut-off, which is the minimum required GPA based on the applicant pool, then the rest of your application is reviewed. This cut-off is usually higher than the GPA minimum. ORPAS is used by Ontario universities only, universities outside of Ontario will use different grading systems. Also, for occupational therapy, your CGPA is used for Queen's OT, the rest of the Ontario schools use your SGPA. 

Hopefully this helps! 

7 hours ago, PPTTT said:

PT is 10 courses, OT is 15

Pretty sure for UBC your GPA is calculated based on your last 10 upper-level courses and your five pre-requisites (Anatomy, Physiology, Advanced Physiology, Statistics and Psychology). Although, I don't know if some of those classes are weighted differently in the calculation.