Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

6 hours ago, OThopesdreams said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Queen's 1st Time (OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa: 3.77  s-gpa: 3.94

Perceived Strengths: While I've done a lot of volunteering with various organizations and supported children and youth with disabilities in recreational programs for 5+ years, I was very sick at the time that the application was due and had to scramble to get it in. I think my essays were okay (not great) and references were good, but I looked back at the CV version I submitted and saw that it had some alarming grammar mistakes and was poorly organized. Unfortunately, it was the best I could do, as I was not feeling like myself. I am fully expecting to be rejected because of this, but I'm wondering, has anyone heard back from Queens OT? I would just like to get it over with at this point. I'm looking forward to reapplying next year and I wish all of this year's applicants the best of luck! 

We won't hear anything from Queen's until May 17th! 

10 hours ago, OTschool2019 said:

If I got rejected for a MMI Mac interview, what are my odds of even getting in OT school this year ? Do I have a shot or long shot ? 

I am on the same boat as you. I have only applied to two OT schools (Mac being one of them), so I am also wondering what my chances of getting accepted into the other one (UofT) is looking like. Were you put on the waitlist for the MMI? And if you don’t mind me asking, what was your cGPA / sGPA. 

I am concerned because Mac sends out invitations to 300 applicants whereas UofT accepts only 130, so I don’t know if my chances of getting accepted to UofT are very slim now that I was waitlisted (and eventually rejected) for the MMI. On the other hand, I know that everyone applies to Mac because they don’t require anything besides a transcript so it may also be more competitive for that reason. 

Any thoughts? 

Just found out via this forum that the U of T CAP invites went out on Friday. If anyone receives/has received a CAP invite after/since March 29th, please post! I want to know if they will still continue sending out invites this week or whether my chances and completely shot. My sGPA was 3.82 and I saw someone post that they got an invite with a 3.83 so I feel like I must be just around the cutoff. Trying to stay hopeful. 

Does anyone know from previous years: if people don't accept the CAP invitation, do their spots get reallocated to other applicants?

2 hours ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

Just found out via this forum that the U of T CAP invites went out on Friday. If anyone receives/has received a CAP invite after/since March 29th, please post! I want to know if they will still continue sending out invites this week or whether my chances and completely shot. My sGPA was 3.82 and I saw someone post that they got an invite with a 3.83 so I feel like I must be just around the cutoff. Trying to stay hopeful. 

Does anyone know from previous years: if people don't accept the CAP invitation, do their spots get reallocated to other applicants?

They gave a deadline of April 18th to RSVP.  CAP is on the 27th with alternate conflict date the 24th. Not sure but it's a possibility.  300 invites and 100 accepted into program. My GPA was 3.84.

3 hours ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

Edit/update: just got home to my rejection letter. I think it will maybe take another day or two for those of you outside Toronto but the rejections do get mailed out. Sorry to say that based on my extensive looking through forums etc I haven't heard of any CAP waitlist so I think those of us that didn't get an invite to the CAP on Friday have been rejected and should expect a letter soon if they haven't gotten one already. 

It's pretty depressing though that the cutoff must have gone up to a 3.83 - I assumed the introduction of Casper would bring it down, but instead it went up again! 

1 minute ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

Edit/update: just got home to my rejection letter. I think it will maybe take another day or two for those of you outside Toronto but the rejections do get mailed out. Sorry to say that based on my extensive looking through forums etc I haven't heard of any CAP waitlist so I think those of us that didn't get an invite to the CAP on Friday have been rejected and should expect a letter soon if they haven't gotten one already. 

It's pretty depressing though that the cutoff must have gone up to a 3.83 - I assumed the introduction of Casper would bring it down, but instead it went up again! 

you got yours physically in the mail?

Yep I got it in the mail today, and that's what they do say on their website: "First Week of April 2019: Emails will be sent to students receiving an invitation to write the CAP (admission entrance exam), and letters will be mailed to unsuccessful applicants. " (from https://www.physicaltherapy.utoronto.ca/admissions/how-to-apply/important-dates/). It seems like they sent all emails and letters out on Friday but letters take longer obviously (I live in Toronto and inter-Toronto mail takes 2 business days so this is exactly when I should have received it). So if you didn't get an acceptance yet I'm sorry but I think that there isn't much hope. :(

27 minutes ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

Yep I got it in the mail today, and that's what they do say on their website: "First Week of April 2019: Emails will be sent to students receiving an invitation to write the CAP (admission entrance exam), and letters will be mailed to unsuccessful applicants. " (from https://www.physicaltherapy.utoronto.ca/admissions/how-to-apply/important-dates/). It seems like they sent all emails and letters out on Friday but letters take longer obviously (I live in Toronto and inter-Toronto mail takes 2 business days so this is exactly when I should have received it). So if you didn't get an acceptance yet I'm sorry but I think that there isn't much hope. :(

bummer :( 

31 minutes ago, peachesplumsandpears said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I had an ORPAS s gpa of 3.82 and was invited to the CAP so the cut off can’t be above 3.82. 

11 hours ago, hoPT said:

yeah the CASper  test did me in....  ORPAS 3.86 rejected. I can't type so I could only fit one or two sentences per question. 

13 hours ago, HaliPhysio15 said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I had an ORPAS s gpa of 3.82 and was invited to the CAP so the cut off can’t be above 3.82. 

Whoa. I never thought I would be one of the people who got rejected because of Casper - I thought it would help me, I love ethical dilemma type questions. 

There was one Casper question that I felt I didn't do well on because the ethical dilemma just didn't really make sense to me. But otherwise I would never thought I would have been < 1.0 std devs from average. Such a bummer. It seems like if they're going to filter based on that they should just tell you as soon as your do Casper that you're not going to get in so that you don't have to just hand over hundreds of extra dollars for your application that never even had a shot to begin with. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:05 AM, Kin2019 said:

Does anyone know when Dalhousie releases their acceptances/rejections for OT? 

Based off of last year’s forum it seemed people received acceptances as early as March 28th to start of April (but I think they go by province) so it should be anyday now! 

8 minutes ago, OThopefully said:

Based off of last year’s forum it seemed people received acceptances as early as March 28th to start of April (but I think they go by province) so it should be anyday now! 

I noticed that looking through previous forums! Let the email refreshing begin. Thanks!! 

Hey guys! So I applied to PT and OT and I just realized that I made a mistake when sending in my resume for U of T OT... their website says it should be no longer than 2 pages but mine was 3.... I don’t know how but I completely missed this. Just wondering, how much do you think it’ll impact my application? My sGPA is 3.94 and I have a lot of volunteer experience listed on my resume :(

25 minutes ago, aspiringphysiotherapist said:

Hey guys! So I applied to PT and OT and I just realized that I made a mistake when sending in my resume for U of T OT... their website says it should be no longer than 2 pages but mine was 3.... I don’t know how but I completely missed this. Just wondering, how much do you think it’ll impact my application? My sGPA is 3.94 and I have a lot of volunteer experience listed on my resume :(

Hi! 

I highly doubt it’ll impact your application by much. I heard mistakes happen all the time in applications, so they may just disregard it. The worst that I think may happen is they might just stop reading after the second page of your resume. On top of that, they weigh your grades more heavily than the other materials, so you still have a really good chance! 

1 minute ago, futureOT08 said:

Hi! 

I highly doubt it’ll impact your application by much. I heard mistakes happen all the time in applications, so they may just disregard it. The worst that I think may happen is they might just stop reading after the second page of your resume. On top of that, they weigh your grades more heavily than the other materials, so you still have a really good chance! 

Thank you for replying!! All my volunteer experience is on my third page so I hope they don’t stop reading after the second one :( not much I can do now though...

PT is my first choice anyway :P

On 4/2/2019 at 3:35 PM, peachesplumsandpears said:

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that! :(

On 4/3/2019 at 5:56 AM, peachesplumsandpears said:

Whoa. I never thought I would be one of the people who got rejected because of Casper - I thought it would help me, I love ethical dilemma type questions. 

There was one Casper question that I felt I didn't do well on because the ethical dilemma just didn't really make sense to me. But otherwise I would never thought I would have been < 1.0 std devs from average. Such a bummer. It seems like if they're going to filter based on that they should just tell you as soon as your do Casper that you're not going to get in so that you don't have to just hand over hundreds of extra dollars for your application that never even had a shot to begin with. 

I don't think the CASPer would have been the defining factor - I'm starting to wonder if the calculator just rounds GPA so it might have been less than a 0.01 difference? The computer would just select the top number of students? 

At any rate though, means you were super close! 

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a while, and finally built the courage to post my stats.

Applied + (PT or OT?): McGill OT
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa 3.54
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: McGill did not have interviews or LOR as requirements, however, I think I have good background courses which I took during my undergrad (biology, stats, etc), I've had many volunteer experiences involving different types of vulnerable populations, and a solid background in the research field. Overall, I think my video statement was okay, and I hope my CASPer went okay too! 

This is also my first time applying to a professional program.

Hey everyone! 

Applied: U of T, McMaster, Queens, Western (all PT) and U of T and McMaster (OT)
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA- 3.94

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: currently in fourth year Kinesiology, volunteered at a hospital and in the outpatient rehab clinic (approximately 70 hours total), shadowed three different physiotherapists in private practice (approximately 45-50 hours combined), coached youth soccer (80 hours), volunteered with seniors in my community church (300 hours), one of my references was from a University professor and the second from my hospital volunteer supervisor

Honestly, I don't think my application is competitive enough compared to some other people's PT and research experience that I've seen on this forum :(