Premed 101 Forums

doing undergrad research but not any formal publications yet

Hi all,

I’ve been an undergrad assistant in a lab at my school and currently have been acknowledged in a publication but I’m not one of the 4 coauthors (I joined the lab right when they were finishing it and only ran on portion of the experiments and made 1 of the figures so it wasn’t enough to get coauthor). Does being part of a publication as an acknowledgement but not being coauthor have any value to it?

im mainly asking since I’ve been with the lab for 2 years and I don’t want my work to seem unproductive, most of my work won’t be recognized until later. I’m supposed to be coauthor on 2 other publications but they aren’t supposed to be done for at least just over a year so unfortunately I most likely won’t be able to add them to any applications for another 2 cycles. Aside from that I did an undergraduate poster presentation and I am supposed to do a poster at an international conference in summer. 

Is it worthwhile to explain this if I don’t get in this cycle? Or am I stressing over nothing. 

As an undergrad, just having research experience is good! Anything else is a bonus. Nobody will look at you thinking you were “unproductive”. Most applicants will not have a publication at the time of application. 

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t put acknowledgements on your CV as they have very little weight. 

26 minutes ago, Aetherus said:

As an undergrad, just having research experience is good! Anything else is a bonus. Nobody will look at you thinking you were “unproductive”. Most applicants will not have a publication at the time of application. 

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t put acknowledgements on your CV as they have very little weight. 

Ok makes sense, thanks for the reply!