Premed 101 Forums

While taking the casper, do they have access to your computer screen?

potatopeel

3 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Yes they do. It’s a remote control surveillance so they can see what goes on in the background of your computer screen within that 1.5 hour span. 

oof ok thanks then I have to make sure all my documents are closed so they dont think im cheating. I guess the best thing to do is just restart your laptop so that you start new and there's little room for error. Thanks for replying :)

54 minutes ago, potatopeel said:

oof ok thanks then I have to make sure all my documents are closed so they dont think im cheating. I guess the best thing to do is just restart your laptop so that you start new and there's little room for error. Thanks for replying :)

Yep, they also recommend to restart your computer before the test so there’s no lingering background programs interfering with the smoothness of the test :).

5 hours ago, Gironomo said:

last year I used google translate during my test for the french CASPer because i wasnt sure on a word.. will this impact my casper evaluation this year? i didnt know they can see the screen :(

No, every year is a new slate. And if the Altus believes you were “cheating” in terms of their perspective they’ll notify both you and ADCOM that they wouldn’t be sending your scores, which would automatically disqualify you from the cycle. 

15 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

No, every year is a new slate. And if the Altus believes you were “cheating” in terms of their perspective they’ll notify both you and ADCOM that they wouldn’t be sending your scores, which would automatically disqualify you from the cycle. 

wait i have a super dumb question - my computer background --> will they see that? If so... I need to change that :') 

1 hour ago, potatopeel said:

wait i have a super dumb question - my computer background --> will they see that? If so... I need to change that :') 

Well if you gave the browser open with the CASPer test, the image on your background won’t be seen (unless they forcibly minimize your screen - which they can do since it’s remote controlled, but they won’t go as far as invading your privacy like that). 

So no worries, your secret -insert famous celebrity’s name here- background is safe for your eyes only

On 10/20/2018 at 6:28 PM, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Yes they do. It’s a remote control surveillance so they can see what goes on in the background of your computer screen within that 1.5 hour span. 

From a privacy/security perspective, I am pretty sure they cannot see  or control what is going on in your screen/computer. I think they would need permission for remote access to the screen in order to be able to view it. There are tons of private documents on computers and I would be very surprised if they were able to access the computer. That being said, pretty sure websites can track your key strokes though. 

6 hours ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

From a privacy/security perspective, I am pretty sure they cannot see  or control what is going on in your screen/computer. I think they would need permission for remote access to the screen in order to be able to view it. There are tons of private documents on computers and I would be very surprised if they were able to access the computer. That being said, pretty sure websites can track your key strokes though. 

I would agree with that - they are relying on the exam being far to quick to use much more than your own thoughts and typing skills. That being said I have always been truly surprised this isn't held at say a prometrics station where they can control the computer and environment cleanly. 

7 hours ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

When you’re signing up for the test, they do already tell you it’s a remote controlled security measure - within their terms and agreements. So you have already signed away your access for it. Again, they aren’t going to be opening files, etc., in remote control access, if you see a file being open, it will pop out on your screen as well - in that case it becomes a legal matter since they overstepped their boundaries in terms of what they indicate in their legal terms and conditions. 

10 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

I would agree with that - they are relying on the exam being far to quick to use much more than your own thoughts and typing skills. That being said I have always been truly surprised this isn't held at say a prometrics station where they can control the computer and environment cleanly. 

I agree that it really should be administered through an actual proctoring company. But I guess the reason why they didn’t do it would be because the cost of the CASPer test would probably be driven up to cover th expenses for the proctoring companies - which would counter their the original idea of CASPer being a “supposably” a cheap test

Just now, CardiacArrhythmia said:

I agree that it really should be administered through an actual proctoring company. But I guess the only reason why they didn’t do it would be because the cost of the CASPer test would probably be driven up to cover th expenses for the proctoring companies.

sure - that cost would be at the expense of ensuring that the right person is taking the test without any help etc. I cannot say I like extra costs - they are high as they are but there are arguments here that something worth 1/3 of your admission score to some places require a bit of security ha :)

5 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

sure - that cost would be at the expense of ensuring that the right person is taking the test without any help etc. I cannot say I like extra costs - they are high as they are but there are arguments here that something worth 1/3 of your admission score to some places require a bit of security ha :)

Yep, I do agree with security implementation through companies - but man security process like the one from the MCAT really makes it feel like you’re heading behind bars rather than a test. 

But at the end of the day, an applicant simply has to go through the test and let the Altus do the security. Applicants shouldn’t be worried about security since that’s probably 2nd/3rd in priority in terms of the actual content of the test itself. 

1 hour ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Yep, I do agree with security implementation through companies - but man security process like the one from the MCAT really makes it feel like you’re heading behind bars rather than a test. 

But at the end of the day, an applicant simply has to go through the test and let the Altus do the security. Applicants shouldn’t be worried about security since that’s probably 2nd/3rd in priority in terms of the actual content of the test itself. 

No they shouldn't be - well except that if the security is compromised then they have a legitimate concern that the system is unfair.  I think that is actually not an unreasonable concern here. 

Archived