Premed 101 Forums

Physics Requirement Question (What topics need to be covered in Physics 2?)

I know we must take a full year of physics to meet the requirements for most medical schools in North America, however, I am uncertain of what specifically would satisfy the 2nd part of this requirement at my university. I am currently at Concordia and taking a class called "PHYS204: Mechanics" which is all about newtons laws, forces, energy/momentum etc, which obviously satisfies the prerequisite for what people typically call "Physics 1". However, when it comes to "Physics 2", do I absolutely need to take a physics course that involves Electricity and Magnetism (PHYS 205 at my school) to satisfy the Physics 2 prereq? Or can it be any other physics course w/ lab?

For instance, say instead of Electricity and Magnetism, I take something like "Waves and Optics" which is generally considered easier at my University in comparison to Electricity and Magnetism but is still a full-on Physics course with a lab section. 

Thank you in advance, and hope you're all having a good semester/application cycle. 

12 minutes ago, Great_Wumbo said:

I know we must take a full year of physics to meet the requirements for most medical schools in North America, however, I am uncertain of what specifically would satisfy the 2nd part of this requirement at my university. I am currently at Concordia and taking a class called "PHYS204: Mechanics" which is all about newtons laws, forces, energy/momentum etc, which obviously satisfies the prerequisite for what people typically call "Physics 1". However, when it comes to "Physics 2", do I absolutely need to take a physics course that involves Electricity and Magnetism (PHYS 205 at my school) to satisfy the Physics 2 prereq? Or can it be any other physics course w/ lab?

For instance, say instead of Electricity and Magnetism, I take something like "Waves and Optics" which is generally considered easier at my University in comparison to Electricity and Magnetism but is still a full-on Physics course with a lab section. 

Thank you in advance, and hope you're all having a good semester/application cycle. 

The only school I am aware of in Canada that requires physics is McGill. Your answer can be found specifically for McGill on this thread. Either E&M or Waves seems to be fine for McGill.

For US school, this is really school dependent. Check the physics outlines on those schools and compare the course content, or at times they may even have an acceptable equivalency list. Email and ask  the specific US schools you’re looking at. 

Archived