Premed 101 Forums

chance me?

applying next year: to all Ontario (except the northern one) schools just want to know whether i should wait until i graduate and do a masters or applying during fourth year - this is projecting since I got a 3.95 OMSAS and 4.0 normal GPA in 2nd year and hopefully getting the same this year, just screwed up during first year.

u of t wGPA = 3.93

western 2y GPA = 3.98

Queens 2y GPA = 3.98

mac cGPA = 3.8

MCAT = 132/129/130/130

ECs: a bunch of tutoring jobs, research for 2+ years, submitted abstracts,  2nd author for a paper in review rn, published paper 3rd author, volunteering for runs and marathons, started up a company, part of a few exec teams, intramurals, etc I've done a lot of ECs so it's comprehensive 

any feedback would be appreciated, kinda regret not taking first year seriously but at least im making up for it

thank you

Just now, mehcanadian said:

applying next year: to all Ontario (except the northern one) schools just want to know whether i should wait until i graduate and do a masters or applying during fourth year - this is projecting since I got a 3.95 OMSAS and 4.0 normal GPA in 2nd year and hopefully getting the same this year, just screwed up during first year.

u of t wGPA = 3.93

western 2y GPA = 3.98

Queens 2y GPA = 3.98

mac cGPA = 3.8

MCAT = 132/129/130/130

ECs: a bunch of tutoring jobs, research for 2+ years, submitted abstracts,  2nd author for a paper in review rn, published paper 3rd author, volunteering for runs and marathons, started up a company, part of a few exec teams, intramurals, etc I've done a lot of ECs so it's comprehensive 

any feedback would be appreciated, kinda regret not taking first year seriously but at least im making up for it

thank you

An average/slightly above average CASPer would get you an interview at mac I think, the rest looks like you have a really good chance. 

35 minutes ago, VigoVirgo said:

An average/slightly above average CASPer would get you an interview at mac I think, the rest looks like you have a really good chance. 

so you'd recommend applying during 4th year then? a bunch of people irl were telling me to do masters because my 1st year marks were completely different than my 2nd (and so far my 3rd year) marks

8 minutes ago, mehcanadian said:

so you'd recommend applying during 4th year then? a bunch of people irl were telling me to do masters because my 1st year marks were completely different than my 2nd (and so far my 3rd year) marks

get 4.0 3rd year and get a 4.0 4th year.

Masters doesnt usually change grades. All it does is give you more time to build up non-academics.

10 minutes ago, mehcanadian said:

A masters degree does very little in moving the needle for your medical school application outside of select schools in Canada that are the exception. it also costs a lot of money and time (you can't apply to a lot of schools until you finish your masters, for example). 

2 minutes ago, mehcanadian said:

thank you all for the replies, so I'm going to apply in 4th year and see how it goes, i think my a little on the low side for u of t and mac but it wont hurt to apply right? they don't look down upon reapplying?

Why do you think that? Your stats are perfectly within range for those 2 schools, you just have to perform slightly above average on CASPER to get an interview at McMaster, and do well on your essays (obviously) for Toronto. You're not at a disadvantage at all.

No school looks down on re-applicants. Ottawa will only interview you a certain number of times, but that's interview, not application. 

Good luck 

Archived