Premed 101 Forums

MPH vs MSc.- Academic Context

keener12345

6 hours ago, keener12345 said:

In terms of academic context score, would an MPH be valued more than an MSc? MPH is considered a professional degree  and it was stated on the website that this is something evaluated in the academic context score.

I wouldn't say that an MPH is "worth" more than an MSc because it will most definitely depend on what kind of MSc someone does and what kind of courses one takes. Professional degrees are those that lead you to complete an exam to be part of a professional order. I'm not too familiar with MPH, so I can't tell you if it will be certainly coded as a professional degree during the review of your file. However, I do think that an MPH adds value and would perhaps boost your academic context score. By how much - I'm not sure. 

8 hours ago, keener12345 said:

In terms of academic context score, would an MPH be valued more than an MSc? MPH is considered a professional degree  and it was stated on the website that this is something evaluated in the academic context score.

I would consider the MPH and MSc pretty equivalent from the viewpoint of the context score. The assessment of an applicant's academic context consists of (a) the progression of difficulty of coursework, (b) post-bachelor's academics and (c) the recognition of professional degree programs (i.e.: programs that lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order).

(a) and (b) would pretty equivalent for MPH and MSc. I would not attribute the MPH as a professional degree given it does not “lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order”. Professional orders are regulated in Quebec as in many provinces, I suggest you take a look here: https://professions-quebec.org/en/the-professional-orders/regulated-professions/definition-and-list/ Example where (c) would apply would be if someone does a law degree prior to medicine.  The JD or LLB/BCL are degrees which are required for the practise as a lawyer. No professions on the list would require one to have a MPH per se. 

17 hours ago, keener12345 said:

Hmmm interesting, I guess I will e-mail and ask. Because according to an online search, the MPH is technically a professional degree but an MSc is not.

I think there are many 'professionnal degrees' that do not lead to a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order, hence the parenthesis on the website. In many universities they consider a 'professional' master's degree any degrees without a big component of research, however only a minority of those professional masters degree lead to a profession that is part of a professional order.

So I think you should not chose your masters degree based on wheither or not there is 'professional' in the title. You should do what interests you the most.

Archived