Premed 101 Forums

Course-Based vs.Thesis

The question kind had popped in my head right now - so I am just curious about this.

I understand that most physicians aiming for an academic position tend to complete a masters during residency to make them competitive. However, when it comes to picking the "said" masters, would most people go for a course-based MPH/MEd or a thesis-based MSc?

On 10/26/2018 at 11:42 PM, lefnalex said:

The question kind had popped in my head right now - so I am just curious about this.

I understand that most physicians aiming for an academic position tend to complete a masters during residency to make them competitive. However, when it comes to picking the "said" masters, would most people go for a course-based MPH/MEd or a thesis-based MSc?

Depends on what they want. If they want to do clinical research, they usually do a clin epi masters, some do a course based one, others do a thesis based one. Course based usually takes less time. 

If they want to do basic science, they basically need a PhD

If they want to do education, they usually do a course based, but sometimes thesis