Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply to McGill OOP MDCM?

moistbeef

Hey everyone! I know these chance me type posts are pretty looked down upon but I just wanted to get a good sense if I should apply to McGill or not.

My CGPA with McGill is 3.83 with my option 2 science prereq at around 3.93.

I have pretty great ECs, played american football (team captain) for almost 10 years, played ultimate frisbee, have about 1.5 years of research experience (got an acknowledgement on a paper), research award (basically NSERC but for glycobiology), a lot of volunteer opportunities in my old neighborhood (daycares, clothing drives, teaching STEM to racialized youth of Toronto)

I just hear that OOP is pretty competitive since it is only like 10 spots.. lol

Give it a shot! you never know! Your cGPA of 3.83 will be used 70% for pre-interview. Your 3.93 will be only used if you get an interview. It may be a bit of an uphill battle, especially if your academic context is weak (easy undergrad, no Masters). But your chances are 0% if you don't apply, so why not?

20 hours ago, moistbeef said:

Thanks, I think I might as well! Do you know if academic context also considers full course load and such? I've always taken five courses a semester (never taken summer school for a certain course to lighten my load)

That can be part of the academic context review, along with the types of classes you took (ex. lower vs. upper level) 

Archived