Premed 101 Forums

Courses taken after 120 credit ( 5th year)

Hi,

Does anyone know how will Ottawa med school look at someone who has already done 120 credit without graduating and who adds a minor to complete a 5th year. It is not to boost my gpa , but it is because I was a part-time student during my first two years so since I am now in my fourth year, I am thinking to add a 5th year to make my 3 th, 4th and 5 th year for uottawa. 

Does anyone has a success story by doing extra classes that won't give you credit for your degree?

Is it better to do a second UG ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 3:22 PM, CardiacArrhythmia said:

yes that is correct, if you are looking to do a 5th year, you need to postpone graduation for that 5th year to count. 

45 minutes ago, PREMED 202 said:

so if I understand , when you do more credits without changing programs and not graduating as long as you have 5 courses a semester, it should be fine?

UWO allows students to complete a fifth year.

11 hours ago, PREMED 202 said:

so if I understand , when you do more credits without changing programs and not graduating as long as you have 5 courses a semester, it should be fine?

Yes that is correct.

10 hours ago, Average Joe said:

Westerns will count an additional 1 year post-grad (aka the “special” year) - however if OP does this, that 5th year won’t count for Ottawa.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:01 AM, Average Joe said:

I am always a bit picky about that wording :) UWO allows you do a number of years beyond your 4th year while you are completing a degree. It allows only one special year post graduation. I know a bit wordy and so one but I have had people get rather confused by that as what you can take to count for their GPA calculation is different in a 5th year vs a special year. 

8 hours ago, PREMED 202 said:

so is it better not to do uncredited courses and register in another program than doing extra course while staying in the same program?

errr depends(?) - I mean for instance for Western if you start another degree you have to finish it. That isn't what you want at all. 

I would say in general if you need a few extra courses for something it is often less confusing for them for you to do another full time year, but you can avoid most of the issues if you so some part time courses in a clear fashion for them. Some school at Ottawa don't count part years, particular post graduation, some don't count part time years in any case like Western or in most cases Toronto, and some count everything like Mac. I think the biggest danger to avoid would be losing TO wGPA policy. for full time years post graduation the ones you have to worry about are Ottawa (won't count it), and Western (have to follow the special year rules). 

gah that is all rather wordy, sorry.  

Archived