Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine Competitiveness

I'm a second year med student at UWO, and I'm considering doing an internal med residency and I've some questions:

1. How competitive is internal medicine?

2. I come from a social work background and  I don't have any research work prior to med school, and was wondering how much weight do they put into research? 

3. In the next two years, what research work should I be involved in? GIM or research work related to the sub-speciality? 

4. What electives should I book?

5. What can I do to make myself a better applicant? 

Thank you so much!!

1 hour ago, internalmeds said:

I'm a second year med student, and I'm considering doing an internal med residency and I've some questions:

2. I come from a social work background and  I don't have any research work prior to med school, and was wondering how much weight do they put into research? 

3. In the next two years, what research work should I be involved in? GIM or research work related to the sub-speciality? 

Thank you so much!!

1. low-moderately competitive, generally speaking, if you are serious from IM as you are now, put in the effort, are open to location you'll match. Some locations like Toronto, Vancouver are more competitive than others

2. They mostly use it as a tick box, having some research is useful, it doesn't need to be published. Some programs care more about it than others. Toronto, Mac are more research heavy, the others tend to be more lenient

3. either works equally well, i would choose based on your interests

4.  i would do a mix of CTU and subspec. People differ on this but I feel like you'll get more out of a CTU elective. More relevant to core IM, and more of the core IM admissions staff are going to be CTU staff. With that being said, do some subspec, its nice to have variety and doing pure CTU electives would be a bit too one sided. 

5. Honestly, just be keen, hardworking, a team player. Ask for advice from seniors who are in IM or applying to it. They will give you good advice. IM is a big tent specialty, there isn't one personality type, one interest for IM, there isn't one of a few people you need to impress. 

12 hours ago, internalmeds said:

I'm a second year med student, and I'm considering doing an internal med residency and I've some questions:

Not at all. Competitive in certain schools (ie UofT) but not everywhere. 

Not much. It helps especially if clinical. 

Either is fine. Research that is more clinical regather than bench would be helpful. 

Try GIM electives in schools you are interested in. 

Read JAMA rational clinical exam. IM is based largely on knowledge. More you know better you will look. 

Thank you so much!!

Archived