Premed 101 Forums

Volunteer/Work Experience for Nursing School

van_12

Hi everyone,

I am a prospective nursing student interested in applying to UBC's accelerated nursing program, and was wondering what your experiences have been like prior to applying to nursing school. I have been volunteering at a seniors' care home for the past 4.5+ years (it'll be almost 6 years during the time of my application), where I've assisted with feeding residents during mealtimes, help recreation staff with activities/games, and engage in one to one conversations with residents. Because of my extensive volunteer experience, I was able to get a part time job at another seniors' care home as a recreation/activity assistant. Here, I lead exercise programs and lead recreational programs independently. I am currently in the process of applying to become a Big Brother mentor/buddy so that I can expand my experience to children as well.

Do you think that my current volunteer/work experience is sufficient and will be seen as "competitive" for admission to UBC's nursing program? Are there other things I should be involving myself with (certain organizations, groups of people, etc.)? Feel free to comment regardless of which university you attend - any and all information is valuable and will be very much appreciated! :)

Thank you everyone!

Archived