Premed 101 Forums

icdt2018

27 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Maybe because they're in med for the last little while and have talked and seen the lifestyle of residents and attendings? You would be surprised how many of my classmates didn't know the lifestyle or job prospects of some fields of medicine, Surgery being a great example, and how they're turned off from it now. Stress of the job hunt and prospects is real for any person or major. But back to your point, many pre-meds definitely have a romanticized view of medicine, and honestly believe it's the one thing that'll keep them happy. Meanwhile, burn-out rate of physicians/residents is super high and still increasing, administrative responsibilities are increasing, sacrifice to personal life can be large depending on your field. @PhD2MD has actually been a great resource on the forums, and talks good shit. I wouldn't be so quick to say they are dissuading as they are simply bringing to light some things. If anything it's just informing people, it's not like their job prospects are dependent on that person getting in or not.

Having a back-up plan is key, and for most working people, it's not the job that keeps them happy but their outside of work life. Having been part of the work force as a non-trad, that's the big thing. Good luck to OP and everyone else.

Admittedly that is why I am attracted to medicine. I am a sick, twisted individual and enjoy psychologically tormenting myself by working long hours and getting burnt out. I'm not kidding either.

8 hours ago, usmedicine said:

I notice you try to dissuade ppl from meds. Why are you sour about medicine?

There is uncertainty with any career pathway you choose, whether it is radiation therapist, social worker,  PT, pharmacist, optometry dietician.  In fact, a lot of people I know graduating from these fields are more worried about finding jobs and their ability to pay debt and their rents more so than the avg physician/resident.   Your thoughts about these jobs are probably inaccurate as well.

I've been wondering that as well lately...I think I do come off as trying to dissuade. It's not really a sourness about medicine, it's more above the process and the "med-or-die" culture that exists. I think the obsession with medicine is unwarranted and most premeds know very little about the think they're obsessed with (heck, many med students don't). Medicine is nice, but it's not what most people think it is, and I'm trying to be the counterweight to that prevailing view.

If you know what medicine is, and you've fairly compared it to other things...than sure med-or-die. Buy most haven't done that before committing themselves and ignoring other opportunities. Now if med were easy and didn't present a large opportunity cost, I wouldn't care. But it's a huge opportunity cost and so deserves a fair evaluation before committing/obsessing.

Archived