Premed 101 Forums

November 2018 DAT Thoughts

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, futuredentist1 said:

Can anyone explain why the scale is the way it is? Is it because everyone did extremely well so they lowered all the scores? CDA should attach the percentile sheet with our transcripts when they send them to our requested schools SMH

I believe the schools do not care when did you write your DAT and they just look at the Scores not percentile ( at least U OF Saskatchewan works this way as I asked them personally), which is Totally unfair.

and I have no Idea what happens that they CDA decides to lower the scale!!!!

please please please... email CDA and all the institutions you applied this year. Don't sit and think others are going to send an email so it's sufficient and you don't need to email. every email counts. we need to let the schools know how much of a disadvantage we are facing compared to others who wrote the American dat and scored really high marks because of the scaling or wrote in February. CDA does not realize how much this affects our lives and our emotional stability. some students have worked all summer at a minimum wage job to save up and pay for this stupid exam and all the materials they had to purchase to prepare. and all the money they have spent applying to schools just to get rejected bc of this stupid scaling. They don't consider the amount of time and dedication writing these exams take. They can't just ruin our life like that. please please send emails. 

While I am still waiting for a response back from CDA, I took another look at the distribution scale.

I know that every year is different (both in terms of how students perform, and the relative difficulty of the exam), so the percentiles will not directly correspond to a specific raw score all the time. So far, it seems that Bio and PAT sections are the ones that are heavily affected by this low scaling, while RC and CHEM are actually higher than the Feb 2018 or Nov 2017 scores.. The only conjecture I can make from this year's distribution, is that majority of us all scored relatively the same within a specific range of scores. If the distribution were to be skewed to the right due to some students doing super well, then I think we would see some scores above 23+.

I can see that the distribution is very narrow for both PAT and Bio section, and the number rather decreases sharply near the right tail region of the bell-curve. If we're all clustered around the "average" zone, you'd have to jump a few standard deviations to get a few more marks.

I don't know how exactly they calculated the scores this year, but I do feel like people who needed high raw scores on certain sections will feel disadvantaged compared to those who wrote it last year (including myself). I am on the same boat here, but I'm just trying to stay positive and assume the best until someone provides me with evidence that shows there was definitely something wrong here. I know my cousin who wrote his DAT back in 2012 was complaining that his scores were so low compared to his previous year's score, even though his percentiles were way higher. 

I'll still keep you guys posted of their response. But in the meantime, let's not stress out too much and stay optimistic!! 

And I don't think emailing CDA demanding for a change in the scale or being rude to them is the way to go here.... If they decide to alter the scores right now, it would cause an even more uproar among those who wrote it in previous years, since they'd feel like they are now at a disadvantage. 

I also don't wanna be like blacklisted or something from them... lol 

2 minutes ago, purplethang said:

And I don't think emailing CDA demanding for a change in the scale or being rude to them is the way to go here.... If they decide to alter the scores right now, it would cause an even more uproar among those who wrote it in previous years, since they'd feel like they are now at a disadvantage. 

I also don't wanna be like blacklisted or something from them... lol 

No harm in asking for an explanation

Best thing for people to do would be is email the CDA and/or the schools you are applying with the scoring scale so they are aware of this years DAT scores. It makes no sense that the highest Biology was 20 and PAT 22, so I'd hope the admissions offices will take note if enough applying students email them!! 

Hold your heads high everyone, it isn't your fault the CDA decided to recalibrate the curve this year.  Sometimes I wonder if the people who make these decisions know how much they can put people's mental health in danger. Bottom line is it is unfortunate this cohort of people has to deal with this situation. I wish you all luck. 

Archived