Premed 101 Forums

Competitive Matching

If I am hoping to match into a competitive speciality,  would U of C's three year programme be a hinderance to doing so?  Would it be possible to take an extra year for research and electives in order to assist in bolstering my applciation, or would I be out of luck in that regard?  

10 hours ago, #YOLO said:

yes. no one successful has ever come out of the uofc, let alone no one has ever matched a competitive spec from there. /s 

What I am asking is if a four year program is more ideal for competitive specialties.  Obviously I realize that U of C is still a great program and people do match to competitive specialties.  

17 minutes ago, garceyues said:

What I am asking is if a four year program is more ideal for competitive specialties.  Obviously I realize that U of C is still a great program and people do match to competitive specialties.  

Good question.
I don't get the worry people have about 3 year schools for competitive specialties. In my mind, it should be the other way around. If you're in a 3 year institution, you can turn it into 4 years and become way more competitive that someone who's in a 4 year school.

This topic has been covered multiple times in this forum. The consensus is that you can be competitive, but since the timeline is so compressed, it becomes even more important to know what you want to go for early on. It's not very common to add an extra year for someone in a 3rd year program, and it's not clear how this would be much more advantageous than having two full summers off in a 4-year program.

13 hours ago, garceyues said:

If I am hoping to match into a competitive speciality,  would U of C's three year programme be a hinderance to doing so?  Would it be possible to take an extra year for research and electives in order to assist in bolstering my applciation, or would I be out of luck in that regard?  

Not sure if that option is available at Calgary but it might be. It is available at Mac. I do think that going to a 3 year school makes it more challenging. It may be worth choosing a 4 year school for that reason. It is a personal decision, a lot of factors go into it, so it is hard to know for sure, but I do think that for the very competitive specialties, 4 year schools do have an advantage. 

1 hour ago, freewheeler said:

Go to a 4 year school where you have family and friends outside of medicine. /thread

Two close friends who went to Mac Med had plenty of free time pre-clerkship, sure not much in terms of summer but from the day-to-day aspects of "in-school" time, they definitely had more free time than my preclin at a 4 year school. 

So i dont think the statement is accurate for a 4 year vs 3 year school.  For time off as in summer breaks, then yes 100% 4 year programs obviously have way more time off.

1 hour ago, JohnGrisham said:

Two close friends who went to Mac Med had plenty of free time pre-clerkship, sure not much in terms of summer but from the day-to-day aspects of "in-school" time, they definitely had more free time than my preclin at a 4 year school. 

So i dont think the statement is accurate for a 4 year vs 3 year school.  For time off as in summer breaks, then yes 100% 4 year programs obviously have way more time off.

I would suggest it for the summer breaks. 

Archived