Premed 101 Forums

Canadian IMG that wants to return to Canada to work

Kasiunut

So I'm currently doing my medical degree at the Medical University of Warsaw. I'm a dual Canadian/Polish-EU citizen and my plan is to do my post-grad medical training as a family doctor in the UK or Ireland and then once I'm full qualified come back to Canada. Worst case scenario I can always work/practice in Poland or the UK/Ireland.

Is this realistic? 

Also, just to be sure, doing residency in Canada as am IMG is going to be fairly difficult right? - Not just from a matching perspective, but also because I've heard there is a return of service requirement. Can someone point me to where I can find out more about this?

You can take the Canadian exams and try your luck at the Canadian FM residency spots along the way too.  Otherwise you have a good backup, that said make sure you know the process of getting UK and/or Irish residency in teh first place. You'll have  to figure out the priority ranking as an EU citizen, but not UK etc.. and non-uk school.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:33 AM, JohnGrisham said:

You can take the Canadian exams and try your luck at the Canadian FM residency spots along the way too.  Otherwise you have a good backup, that said make sure you know the process of getting UK and/or Irish residency in teh first place. You'll have  to figure out the priority ranking as an EU citizen, but not UK etc.. and non-uk school.

Yeah at the moment EU med graduates have the same status as UK med graduates, though this may change with Brexit (however at the moment it seems that this will not change any time soon). I've been looking at the UK as the most likely place (its where most grads from my program go if they want to go to an English speaking environment) and most get in. I'd LOVE to come back to Canada sooner also because residency for family med is much shorter than the UK and I'm an older student (I'll be 38 when I graduate).

Any other advice on improving my matching chance in Canada? Should I be doing summer practice in Canada? Do I contact all my medical contacts? Do I start researching residencies now and getting to know the people involved? 

"Any other advice on improving my matching chance in Canada? Should I be doing summer practice in Canada? Do I contact all my medical contacts? Do I start researching residencies now and getting to know the people involved? "

Yes to all of these, though hard to say if any of it will make a difference. Being a strong student clinically and doing electives (not shadowing) in Canada will be best yield.

Archived