Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

I got an email from one of my verifiers today saying that UBC emailed them to verify one of my activities. I thought this was weird because a good 10+ of my verifiers were contacted near the end of September (The verifier who got the email today was not among the 10+ verifiers that were contacted at the end of September).

Is it common for UBC to do two waves of verifier checks per applicant? Has anyone experienced this before?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, that's strange.  I personally haven't experienced this and I hadn't heard about it before.  But I guess it's totally possible, and they probably have done it in the past as well.  If you're worried, don't be.  If there are issues, UBC will let you know.

However, now that I think of it, perhaps your verifier from a different part of your application was contacted, specifically the Northern and Rural Training section?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I experienced the same thing this cycle. Had about 5 verifiers contacted in beginning of October, then had 1 contacted at the end of October. I also did not apply to any Northern or Rural Training. My guess is that they can contact verifiers randomly whenever they feel like it, so there isn't any point in trying to find some hidden meaning behind this. Although it is good to know that we have received a full file review. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Baljinderthecrow said:

I experienced the same thing this cycle. Had about 5 verifiers contacted in beginning of October, then had 1 contacted at the end of October. I also did not apply to any Northern or Rural Training. My guess is that they can contact verifiers randomly whenever they feel like it, so there isn't any point in trying to find some hidden meaning behind this. Although it is good to know that we have received a full file review. 

Agreed, we shouldn't worry.  Perhaps I should check with my other verifiers, too!  (Just out of curiosity, haha.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

Hmm, that's strange.  I personally haven't experienced this and I hadn't heard about it before.  But I guess it's totally possible, and they probably have done it in the past as well.  If you're worried, don't be.  If there are issues, UBC will let you know.

However, now that I think of it, perhaps your verifier from a different part of your application was contacted, specifically the Northern and Rural Training section?

Yea I found it quite odd. Like BaljinderthecrowI did not fill in the Northern and Rural Section. This verifier was part of my employment so I thought maybe they did it in sections, but another one of my employers was contacted at the end of September a few months ago. 

Yea definitely check out your other verifiers so that they verify in a timely manner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One year I had very random verifiers contacted the first round, then an email asking me to change my verifier for an activity to a more appropriate one (club president --> sponsor teacher of the hs club), then the next round of verifiers contacted were all employment/leadership positions. 

Might have been that a reviewer wanted to confirm specific entries.? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, CoffeeNerd said:

I only had 2 verifiers contacted, end of October. I am worried as I had many verifiers, and a lot of them are abroad. Would the admissions team contact me if they had trouble reaching any of my verifiers? 

 

*Disclaimer: First-time applicant, I`m a complete newbie!

Yeah for sure!  If there are any problems at all, admissions will contact you and let you know.  If you haven’t received any emails, that’s a good thing!  Basically, no news is good news :).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question! A verifier just got back to me indicating that they were contacted on November 8th. They did not submit their response until today, which is past the November 15th cut off (outlined in an e-mail sent to me from admission's office Re: verifier not responding). Will the verifier still be able to submit the confirmation of experience? I understand this entry will not likely be included in my NAQ score but I figure more information the better. 

 

Please let me know what you think! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yeeewww said:

Quick question: A verifier just got back to me indicating that they were contacted on November 8th. They did not submit their response until today, which is past the November 15th cut off (outlined in an e-mail sent to me from admission's office Re: verifier not responding). Will the verifier still be able to submit the confirmation of experience? I understand this entry will likely not be included in my NAQ score but i figure more information the better. 

 

Please let me know what you think! 

I don’t think there is any harm in your verifier trying to submit it, even though the deadline has passed. As you mention, they likely won’t include it in the NAQ but it’s worth a shot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Neurophiliac said:

Perhaps your employer wasn’t responding to emails?

This does seem odd... Based on what @Yeeewww posted, I thought they had already reached out to applicants whose verifiers hadn’t responded and given them until Nov 15 to reply. I would have thought that they were just putting the final touches on things, with decisions coming out next week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

This does seem odd... Based on what @Yeeewww posted, I thought they had already reached out to applicants whose verifiers hadn’t responded and given them until Nov 15 to reply. I would have thought that they were just putting the final touches on things, with decisions coming out next week. 

I think the Nov 15 was only for @Yeeewww because I believe they give one week for verifiers to respond once they receive the email.  And since they send out emails at different times for different applicants, there is no fixed deadline for all applicants.  So for @Lothrandir it could have been the stage where his verifier didn’t respond and so adcom opted for the phone option.  If @Lothrandir’s employer didn’t pick up the phone at least a couple of times, adcom would have sent the no-verifier-response email.  I think that’s what happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely seems to be very variable... They contacted me mid-Oct for additional contact information for 2 of my work references, but I never heard from them again. One of these 2 verifiers contacted me to tell me they had completed the verification. I never heard anything again after that... I thought it was interesting that both these activities were for a substancial amount of hours. I don’t know if my other verifiers were contacted and/or if they did several rounds of verification on my application. So mysterious! ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lothrandir said:

Late Update- For this activity I had not provided any email for reference because I didn't know her email. Just the phone number. But still curious at the timing. Next week might explain

hmm.. that's interesting. I am very nervous for next week and especially considering I have only had 1 verifier contacted. I also applied to a different stream, MD/PhD so I dont know if I would also get a response at the same time? does anyone know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lothrandir said:

Late Update- For this activity I had not provided any email for reference because I didn't know her email. Just the phone number. But still curious at the timing. Next week might explain

Ooh ok that explains a lot about the phone contact then!  In that case, I guess they’re still checking verifiers to the last minute haha.

5 minutes ago, Macgirl said:

hmm.. that's interesting. I am very nervous for next week and especially considering I have only had 1 verifier contacted. I also applied to a different stream, MD/PhD so I dont know if I would also get a response at the same time? does anyone know?

Don’t worry, just remember that there is no correlation between the number of verifiers contacted and the interview decision ;) , other than of course no verifiers contacted which means the applicant is ineligible and there was no need to do a file review.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Neurophiliac said:

Ooh ok that explains a lot about the phone contact then!  In that case, I guess they’re still checking verifiers to the last minute haha.

Don’t worry, just remember that there is no correlation between the number of verifiers contacted and the interview decision ;) , other than of course no verifiers contacted which means the applicant is ineligible and there was no need to do a file review.

thanks Neurophiliac! I am just dreading next week.... its so nerve wracking 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Macgirl said:

thanks Neurophiliac! I am just dreading next week.... its so nerve wracking 

TOTALLY feel you.  Just hang in there!  Always remember, no matter what happens, life goes on and med interview isn't the most important news in life.  You've done all you can possibly do, and I'm sure you have a great, competitive application submitted :).  Have faith in your application!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...