Premed 101 Forums

WD on transcript vs bad grade?

sportsMD23

Hope everything is going well.

I am in my 3rd year and taking organic chemistry I this term. I am only taking the course to be able to apply to Ottawa and preparing for the MCAT. However, I am struggling in the class. I am seriously considering dropping the course, but I will get WD on my transcript. Dropping the course will make me illegible to apply to Ottawa med and UofT wGPA formula but keeping the course and potentially getting a bad grade will impact all other schools (except UofT)...My cGPA is great (3.97) and I have been taking a full course load each term. 

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

U don't need orgo for u of Ottawa if you take the other 2 Chem courses. Their website does an awful job of explaining this but I called and made sure that orgo wasn't mandatory as long as you took the other chems (I believe general Chem and Biochem?). This is also true of the MCAT. On average the CP section has 15% orgo questions but so much of those overlap with general Chem that I would say having a good idea of general Chem is more than enough to get a decent CP score. 

Since you are deep into the course term, irregardless of whether you need orgo or not to apply to ottawa doesn't matter at this point. You are still faced with the decision of withdrawing or receiving what you may think is a bad grade.

If I were you, I would lean towards staying with the course. If you drop, we can say for certain that your full course load eligibility is gone and that you will have a WD on your transcript. You stay and you may have a bad grade but at least you will have a full course load to save you. I

Just to clarify... is your cGPA your raw gpa or wGPA? why are you so sure you will do poorly? 

7 hours ago, Distancea said:

U don't need orgo for u of Ottawa if you take the other 2 Chem courses. Their website does an awful job of explaining this but I called and made sure that orgo wasn't mandatory as long as you took the other chems (I believe general Chem and Biochem?). This is also true of the MCAT. On average the CP section has 15% orgo questions but so much of those overlap with general Chem that I would say having a good idea of general Chem is more than enough to get a decent CP score. 

The problem with taking biochem courses is that they usually require organic chemistry as the prerequisite course. I was able to take intro to biochem that did not have prerequisites but any other biochem courses require orgo.

2 hours ago, hartk48 said:

Since you are deep into the course term, irregardless of whether you need orgo or not to apply to ottawa doesn't matter at this point. You are still faced with the decision of withdrawing or receiving what you may think is a bad grade.

If I were you, I would lean towards staying with the course. If you drop, we can say for certain that your full course load eligibility is gone and that you will have a WD on your transcript. You stay and you may have a bad grade but at least you will have a full course load to save you. I

Just to clarify... is your cGPA your raw gpa or wGPA? why are you so sure you will do poorly? 

My raw GPA is 3.97 without any adjustments. I am just having a hard time with understanding the concepts and the final exam is worth 60% which is supposedly much harder than midterms which I did poorly in... Obviously, I have been putting in effort and time but I just don't seem to get it. 

Archived