Premed 101 Forums

Am I screwed now?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in my 2nd year of university.

In 1st year, I got only a 3.78 GPA. I screwed up only one course REALLY badly (low 70s), and as a result my GPA plummeted from a potential 3.9X to a 3.78. Everything else was either a 3.9 or a 4.0.

Also, in my 2nd year now, I'm doing great in everything, except in Biochemistry I just got a 73 on my midterm. Assuming I get a good mark on my final (not assuming I get anything crazy, like a 95+), I'll end up with a low 80 in the course. Again, my GPA in second year is now getting (potentially) screwed over.

My GPA is getting hurt really badly and I need to know if I'm screwed and I should just consider a different path altogether or if there's a reason to keep on going since Canadian medical schools are ultra competitive.

If I end up with a 3.8 something cumulative GPA, I don't know if I'll even have a chance at applying to medical schools here in Ontario.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you very much for reading.

19 minutes ago, HotAwkwardNerd said:

I got tons of low 80s in courses and still got into med school. My cGPA was around a 3.83 and that was without doing a masters or weighting. Most schools will re-weight your gpa and drop your lowest marks. You should be fine

Awesome!!! Well done and thank you for the encouraging words.

16 hours ago, musicboy said:

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in my 2nd year of university.

In 1st year, I got only a 3.78 GPA. I screwed up only one course REALLY badly (low 70s), and as a result my GPA plummeted from a potential 3.9X to a 3.78. Everything else was either a 3.9 or a 4.0.

Also, in my 2nd year now, I'm doing great in everything, except in Biochemistry I just got a 73 on my midterm. Assuming I get a good mark on my final (not assuming I get anything crazy, like a 95+), I'll end up with a low 80 in the course. Again, my GPA in second year is now getting (potentially) screwed over.

My GPA is getting hurt really badly and I need to know if I'm screwed and I should just consider a different path altogether or if there's a reason to keep on going since Canadian medical schools are ultra competitive.

If I end up with a 3.8 something cumulative GPA, I don't know if I'll even have a chance at applying to medical schools here in Ontario.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you very much for reading.

4 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

You're not "screwed". Even with a 4.0, you're odds of getting into Ontario med school is low. More importantly, life isn't over if you don't get into med school! I wish that wasn't the default assumption on these forums.

You can get into an Ontarion med school with a low GPA. I highly recommend applying to Mac and Queen's and UWO.

I had a GPA close to 3.8 and was accepted to 3 out of the 5 schools I applied to. 2 of these schools were in Ontario .

2 hours ago, usmedicine said:

You can get into an Ontarion med school with a low GPA. I highly recommend applying to Mac and Queen's and UWO.

I had a GPA close to 3.8 and was accepted to 3 out of the 5 schools I applied to. 2 of these schools were in Ontario .

But it wasn't because of your 3.8. With 3/5 acceptances I'd wager you've got a unique app.

My point was your chances are low with a 3.8 or 4.0...they're still 5-15% tops based solely on the gpa

30 minutes ago, PhD2MD said:

But it wasn't because of your 3.8. With 3/5 acceptances I'd wager you've got a unique app.

My point was your chances are low with a 3.8 or 4.0...they're still 5-15% tops based solely on the gpa

Your chances of getting into any Canadian Med School is lower than 10%, you still have to believe in yourself and try nonetheless. 

Archived