Premed 101 Forums

US Residency for Canadian med Students

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian med student, and I would like to do my residency in the US to be close to my partner.  I would like to know what is the process like? What are the hoops that I have to go through?

I already wrote my USMLE Step 1 and I scored 254. I'm planning to write USMLE Step 2 in the next few months. 

What else needs to be done? Can someone share their experience?

By the end of med school, I 'm expecting to have 2-3 publications. I don't have any publications from undergrad. I'm planning to apply to primary care residencies ( internal meds or peds).

Thank you so much for your time !!

1 hour ago, usmedicine said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian med student, and I would like to do my residency in the US to be close to my partner.  I would like to know what is the process like? What are the hoops that I have to go through?

I already wrote my USMLE Step 1 and I scored 254. I'm planning to write USMLE Step 2 in the next few months. 

What else needs to be done? Can someone share their experience?

By the end of med school, I 'm expecting to have 2-3 publications. I don't have any publications from undergrad. I'm planning to apply to primary care residencies ( internal meds or peds).

Thank you so much for your time !!

Your 254 will set you up strong. If you already know region you want to do residency, start doing the research into programs and try to set up 1-3 electives (as your school allows).  You'll have no issue with primary care. Just do the remaining steps and set up some electives in the US if possible.  Otherwise get familiar with the app process and dont miss any deadlines. 

IF you have a Green Card, process is even easier. If not, you'll need to apply for J1 or H1b, but with new rules for J1 its even easier. Your citizenship status with partner will dictate whats the best option to take etc.

25 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Your 254 will set you up strong. If you already know region you want to do residency, start doing the research into programs and try to set up 1-3 electives (as your school allows).  You'll have no issue with primary care. Just do the remaining steps and set up some electives in the US if possible.  Otherwise get familiar with the app process and dont miss any deadlines. 

IF you have a Green Card, process is even easier. If not, you'll need to apply for J1 or H1b, but with new rules for J1 its even easier. Your citizenship status with partner will dictate whats the best option to take etc.

I wouldn't suggest a J1 if OP wants to spend a long time with their partner :p

http://www.americanlaw.com/physic2.html

I would suggest doing some electives in the US. Apply to schools in the states that you want to go to and aim to get reference letters. 

You should look into the TN visa. It is I believe available to Canadian citizens who are CMGs, i believe its easier to apply for and much less hassle on the residency program that accepts you. I know that Canadian citizens in US med schools will get onto a TN visa as a bridge to an H1B visa, but i'm not sure if this applies to CMGs too. Essentially the TN visa lasts for a 1 year but it bridges you over allowing you to start your PGY-1 in the states and then apply for the H1B as a PGY-1. Programs like this because it means less paperwork to accept you, which means it is easier to take you. 

1 hour ago, Edict said:

http://www.americanlaw.com/physic2.html

I would suggest doing some electives in the US. Apply to schools in the states that you want to go to and aim to get reference letters. 

You should look into the TN visa. It is I believe available to Canadian citizens who are CMGs, i believe its easier to apply for and much less hassle on the residency program that accepts you. I know that Canadian citizens in US med schools will get onto a TN visa as a bridge to an H1B visa, but i'm not sure if this applies to CMGs too. Essentially the TN visa lasts for a 1 year but it bridges you over allowing you to start your PGY-1 in the states and then apply for the H1B as a PGY-1. Programs like this because it means less paperwork to accept you, which means it is easier to take you. 

I think your mixing things up. 

It is the F1-OPTI visa that US medical school grads who are non-US citizens get for 1 year after grad. It is commonly used as a bridge for PGY1 to apply for H1b for PGY2 onwards.

You can't do residency on the TN visa.

45 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

I think your mixing things up. 

It is the F1-OPTI visa that US medical school grads who are non-US citizens get for 1 year after grad. It is commonly used as a bridge for PGY1 to apply for H1b for PGY2 onwards.

You can't do residency on the TN visa.

Oh yes, my bad. 

Archived