Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2019

Gues

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. 

I am a Canadian citizen and i have completed my undergraduate and postgraduate (M.S. general surgery)in India, and now I want to come back to Canada to practice. What are the steps that I should take to apply? And would I have to repeat my residency completely after clearing carms? Is it different for different provinces?

Your replies are much appreciated!

51 minutes ago, TrP said:

Hi everyone. 

I am a Canadian citizen and i have completed my undergraduate and postgraduate (M.S. general surgery)in India, and now I want to come back to Canada to practice. What are the steps that I should take to apply? And would I have to repeat my residency completely after clearing carms? Is it different for different provinces?

I am no surgeon, but I have worked with general surgeons in both rural and urban settings in 4 different provinces (BC, AB, ON, and NB), and I have never seen an IMG who is able to practice as surgeon without repeating surgical residency and clearing the MCCQEs (parts 1 and 2).

It is highly unlikely that your Indian qualifications will allow you to practise as a surgeon here. You will need to do MCCQE 1 and 2, apply to CaRMS as an IMG candidate and pray hard that you get a spot in surgery. Once you have completed your Canadian surgical residency, you will likely need to apply for a fellowship. Then, after your fellowship, you pray hard again that someone somewhere in Canada will hire you. In short, you are better off staying in India.

1 hour ago, TrP said:

Hi everyone. 

39 minutes ago, hamham said:

I am no surgeon, but I have worked with general surgeons in both rural and urban settings in 4 different provinces (BC, AB, ON, and NB), and I have never seen an IMG who is able to practice as surgeon without repeating surgical residency and clearing the MCCQEs (parts 1 and 2).

It is highly unlikely that your Indian qualifications will allow you to practise as a surgeon here. You will need to do MCCQE 1 and 2, apply to CaRMS as an IMG candidate and pray hard that you get a spot in surgery. Once you have completed your Canadian surgical residency, you will likely need to apply for a fellowship. Then, after your fellowship, you pray hard again that someone somewhere in Canada will hire you. In short, you are better off staying in India.

I think it'll be very hard but I don't think it's impossible to practice as a general surgeon in Canada. It's also not necessarily mandatory that you redo residency in Canada, but a clinical and/or research fellowship would probably be needed. I worked with a general surgeon in Toronto (quite recently hired too) who did medical school and residency in general surgery in Spain, then came to Toronto for a fellowship and was offered a full-time assistant professor position.

16 hours ago, xiphoid said:

I think it'll be very hard but I don't think it's impossible to practice as a general surgeon in Canada. It's also not necessarily mandatory that you redo residency in Canada, but a clinical and/or research fellowship would probably be needed. I worked with a general surgeon in Toronto (quite recently hired too) who did medical school and residency in general surgery in Spain, then came to Toronto for a fellowship and was offered a full-time assistant professor position.

Yeah, the big mistake Canadians have is we think that they will hire us no matter what. Centers routinely hire foreigners who offer a skill set that they can't find in Canadians and these jobs are for life. 

Archived