Premed 101 Forums

Taking multiple online courses?

10 minutes ago, Cuttlefish said:

If 2 of my 5 courses next semester are online (distance education), will this be looked at unfavourably? It will be my last semester of undergrad

Not unfavourably, but for Ottawa that year won't count since you have more than 1 distance education course in one semester. Other Ontario schools don't really care.

22 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Not unfavourably, but for Ottawa that year won't count since you have more than 1 distance education course in one semester. Other Ontario schools don't really care.

Does Ottawa explicitly say you can only have 1? I know they don't count it as full time, but if you have 6 half credits in a semester (course overload), why can't the extra half credit be an online course? As long as you still have 4 in class courses.

2 hours ago, LloydRedStan said:

Does Ottawa explicitly say you can only have 1? I know they don't count it as full time, but if you have 6 half credits in a semester (course overload), why can't the extra half credit be an online course? As long as you still have 4 in class courses.

Ottawa treats distance education courses as pass/fail courses and you can have only one per semester. HOWEVER, this is under the assumption you are only taking 5 courses per semester. If you take the minimum 4 in class courses then you can take as many online courses as you want. However, OP said that 2 of his 5 was going to be distance ed., which means that’s semester won’t count unless they add 1 more lecture course. 

• 1 month later...

There are several problems with the traditional system of education. First of all, you need to pay thousands of dollars per term to attend a prestigious school. With all those budget cuts, busy classrooms, and course shortages, you won’t always get the chance to study exactly what you want.  But online courses best for learning. If you have time you can take multiple classes.

Western has requirements on course year level as well 

In each of the two years used for the GPA requirement, applicants must meet the following course level requirements:

• Year 1: three of five full course equivalents at or above the 100-level.
  • Year 2: three of five full course equivalents at or above the 200-level.
  • Year 3, 4 or 5: three of five full course equivalents at or above the 300-level.

Course level restrictions apply only to the two years considered for GPA. In addition, only one full or equivalent Pass/Fail credit is permissible in each year considered for GPA.

Archived