Premed 101 Forums

A non canadian/non PR med student in Poland wanting to practice medicine in Canada.

rose1096

Hi All,

I'm a student in 5th year of Med school studying here in Poland at WUM and I hold a Pakistani Passport. I am aware of the fact that you MUST be a PR holder or have a Canadian Citizenship to be eligible to practice there as there are steep chances for IMG's especially non Canadians. I will be getting engaged in a couple of months and my fiance is studying/working in Canada, He would get his PR soon hopefully. So here my question goes, can I just go to Canada after graduating which will be in 2 years and start preparing for Carms and get a PR in the meanwhile and then apply to residency (it would take 2 3 yeard after I graduate) ?

What would be the best advice in this case or if there is some other pathway I should opt for?

I'd actually suggest aiming for the US instead of Canada.  It would be at least two years to be able to even apply to CaRMS (as a PR)- and your case, your fiancé isn't a PR or citizen either at the moment, which means that you'd need to get some kind of visa to come to Canada for an extended stay or to immigrate, which could take some time (not to mention needing to find an income stream).  Plus the chances for a IMG residency are slim; many Canadian-born citizen who get degrees internationally struggle to get a CaRMS residency position, despite having advantages in terms of language and culture.  Conversely, the US will accept non-US citizen IMGs (although typically not for the most competitive residencies). 

10 hours ago, rose1096 said:

Hi All,

I'm a student in 5th year of Med school studying here in Poland at WUM and I hold a Pakistani Passport. I am aware of the fact that you MUST be a PR holder or have a Canadian Citizenship to be eligible to practice there as there are steep chances for IMG's especially non Canadians. I will be getting engaged in a couple of months and my fiance is studying/working in Canada, He would get his PR soon hopefully. So here my question goes, can I just go to Canada after graduating which will be in 2 years and start preparing for Carms and get a PR in the meanwhile and then apply to residency (it would take 2 3 yeard after I graduate) ?

What would be the best advice in this case or if there is some other pathway I should opt for?

You can, but the problem is you will find it a very uphill battle to find a residency in Canada. The competition is very fierce and there are many people that are more preferred by program directors. It is very possible that you will not find a residency that will take you and your skills will get worse and worse. It is very common for physicians who immigrate to Canada to never work as physicians again. 

Archived