Premed 101 Forums

Psychology Major to Medicine

faithrl

Did anyone on here major in psychology and go to medical school? Was wondering if people took biology, chem etc as their electives? And if they actually managed to get high grades in all those hard classes. I'm considering just learning the sciences specifically for the MCAT so I don't hurt my GPA too much. I thought psychology would be easier but I'm finding it harder than bio lol. 

Former psychology major here! I did take bio and chem as electives. I personally found my psych courses much easier and much more enjoyable. I think this might just be an instance of "everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses" and the oft-quoted advice of "major in whatever interests you". I personally absolutely loved what I was learning in psych, so studying never felt like a chore. Studying for bio and chem on the other hand... felt like pulling teeth.

I did psych as my undergrad, too! :) I did it with sciences as opposed to arts, so my electives were mainly chemistry/biology/biochem classes, with some non-science electives, too.  I really enjoyed both my psych and science classes, and found it manageable to do well in both.  Everyone has their strengths and weakness, so if you're finding science courses easier and more enjoyable, don't exclude the possibility of switching programs (I switched into psych after first year, and it was the best decision I could have made!).  I think enjoying the courses you're taking makes it so much easier to do well in them.  

With regards to the MCAT, I didn't take physics in university, and found it much more difficult to learn by myself while studying for the MCAT, as opposed to chem and bio.  That said, some people are really sufficient with regards to learning things on their own, so doing that might work well for you.  In hindsight, taking a first year physics class would have been a good idea for me, I think.

I did psych as my undergrad degree as well. I took chemistry and bio in first year. Took organic chem for the mcat over the summer and biochemistry in 2nd year. I had high 70s in chemistry and 80s in bio and biochem. Since everything under 80 was in first year, it didnt impact my GPA too much. In some ways psych can be harder than upper year science classes since its a lot more essay-based, but overall I found psych to be more interesting, so I did pretty well in all my psych classes. If you have anymore questions, let me know:)