Premed 101 Forums

Hey there Poloma, 

UBC does not go by GPA, but rather looks at your cumulative average as a percent. Your best bet would be to look at previous interview invite/regret posts to get a better indication of where your grades put you on the 50 point AQ scale. Just remember that if you fulfill a certain credit requirement, your lowest year is removed and thus reflects in a higher grade percent. Even if grades are on the lower end, people with amazing curricular involvement can score unbelievably high on the 50 point NAQ scale. 

Keep in mind every year the applicant pool changes, and so to does the scaling against other applicants. I can not attest to your academic qualifications since you gave a GPA on a 4.00 scale, but definitely check out the previous years for an approximation and leave some room for a decrease in AQ score year-to-year (as has historically been the case).

Sorry this is not much help, but if you have some great extra-curriculars, your chance at an interview is very real!  

6 minutes ago, Instagrammar said:

Hey there Poloma, 

UBC does not go by GPA, but rather looks at your cumulative average as a percent. Your best bet would be to look at previous interview invite/regret posts to get a better indication of where your grades put you on the 50 point AQ scale. Just remember that if you fulfill a certain credit requirement, your lowest year is removed and thus reflects in a higher grade percent. Even if grades are on the lower end, people with amazing curricular involvement can score unbelievably high on the 50 point NAQ scale. 

Keep in mind every year the applicant pool changes, and so to does the scaling against other applicants. I can not attest to your academic qualifications since you gave a GPA on a 4.00 scale, but definitely check out the previous years for an approximation and leave some room for a decrease in AQ score year-to-year (as has historically been the case).

Sorry this is not much help, but if you have some great extra-curriculars, your chance at an interview is very real!  

Thanks Instagrammar! 

In terms of percentage my aGPA falls around an 87.5% and I have pretty strong EC's - hopefully it's enough :) I'll go check out old threads

Poloma

17 minutes ago, Poloma said:

Thanks Instagrammar! 

In terms of percentage my aGPA falls around an 87.5% and I have pretty strong EC's - hopefully it's enough :) I'll go check out old threads

Poloma

An AGPA of around 87.5% is really good if you're IP!  That should definitely give you a relatively great AQ score.  Even a lower AGPA would be good.  I think anything around ~83% is doable; and, of course, every percent increase from there will impact the AQ for the better – not saying anything below 83% is bad though!  It just comes down to balancing it with NAQ.  If you have strong ECs, I wouldn't be too worried – I think you should have hope :).

Fingers x'd!

Archived