Premed 101 Forums

3 hours ago, keener12345 said:

Hello,

On the ottawa website, it states that:

"In order for the academic year to count towards the WGPA calculation, a maximum of one pass/fail graded course per semester may have been completed in accordance with the five courses per semester each year requirement.  Therefore, an academic year in which more than one pass/fail graded course was taken in one semester is not considered in the WGPA calculation. The same rule will be applied for distance education (online) courses."

However, on the transcript from my university, there is NO indication of whether a particular course is online or in class. Both are listed as the same. Does anybody have any insight as to how they confirm if a course is online or not (if in fact they can)? From what I read on a previous post, if it is not listed in the transcript as an online course, ottawa will recognize it as in class.

25 minutes ago, ABCD13 said:

interested in this! I'm a mature student so I haven't been in school in such a long time. I have no idea which of my courses were online because my transcript doesn't state it. 

Ottawa can only know based on whatever is indicated on your transcript - the information has to be obvious i.e. the course is known to be only online at your university or it's denoted on your transcript by another section code, etc. However, if they require further clarification about a course, they reserve the right to ask you during file review. 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:47 PM, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Ottawa can only know based on whatever is indicated on your transcript - the information has to be obvious i.e. the course is known to be only online at your university or it's denoted on your transcript by another section code, etc. However, if they require further clarification about a course, they reserve the right to ask you during file review. 

5 minutes ago, keener12345 said:

Thank you :)My question is, if it is not immediately present on the transcript that the course is online, wouldn't they'd have to:

A. Identify course code letter to determine semester
B. Call/look up to find out if a course is online

Wouldn't this be so impractical for all 4k applicants for each year of study lol...

I think they know. There are only so many universities in Canada so it wouldn't be hard to check from  year to year by computer.

1 hour ago, keener12345 said:

Thank you :)My question is, if it is not immediately present on the transcript that the course is online, wouldn't they'd have to:

A. Identify course code letter to determine semester
B. Call/look up to find out if a course is online

Wouldn't this be so impractical for all 4k applicants for each year of study lol...

Well everything regarding the admissions process is speculation since the process is not disclosed -- there's nothing you can really do in this case once your application is submitted. You're right it is impractical to verify everything, but in addition, they're not really required to verify every online course in a single applicant -- more than half the applicants get cut off pre-interview based on GPA selection alone already. If they require further verification, they can make you go to your home university to ask them to send a proof of enrollment to them to verify online vs. in-class courses on your transcript - your registrar's keeps a record of it. 

Archived