Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2019 Interview -- DISCUSSIONS

medafter30

18 hours ago, Corgi1 said:

Probably just inviting everybody without any meaningful screening. 

I'm 6/9 for AP programs I applied to. I was unmatched last year so that might factor in.

Path usually has a much smaller CMG pool to sort from versus other specialties if what I was told in Calgary was true

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cacao said:

On that note, does anyone know if it's frowned upon to phone schools and ask whether they've sent out all their invites? It would be so helpful if they could e-mail us even if we're not invited. 

well i definitely wouldnt call them anytime soon- its literally the first day they even sent any invites (if the thread is to be believed at all- keep in mind its completely unverified) and we dont know if 1) they send them out on multiple days, and/or 2) they preferentially send out a handful before sending out the majority/rest. Best to just chill for at least the next two weeks before starting to wonder.

2 hours ago, Northern light said:

I could see the University of Ottawa has started sending invitations to the OBGYN interviews. So far I haven't received any correspondence from them, neither negative nor positive.  Does it mean something good or bad?!

It is often best to check the CaRMS Program description website directly since each school has a different policy. The following was retrieved from Ottawa's OBGYN CMG stream:

If an email has not been received by December 14, 2018 - an interview has not been granted.  Please do not contact the Program to inquire about whether an interview was granted.

In general for CaRMS, no news is bad news. Program admins are already very busy trying to follow up with those invited for an interview, so they do not have time to email regrets too (although there are programs that do). If you are invited for an interview, you can be sure that they will send you a follow-up email or even call you directly if they haven't heard back from you.

17 hours ago, cacao said:

On that note, does anyone know if it's frowned upon to phone schools and ask whether they've sent out all their invites? It would be so helpful if they could e-mail us even if we're not invited. 

I think in the smaller programs, this is generally frowned upon.

Received a rejection to Toronto FM from out of province. I didn't have any FM electives in Toronto but I did have one elsewhere in Ontario with a strong LOR.

My app is unmistakably FM #1 with 8 weeks out of province electives so I am pretty shocked.. should I be surprised?? Do schools mention if there was an omission or something that disqualified my app?

No other invites as of yet.

i mean, even though "its family" UofT is still quite competitive for family med. Both not having any onsite electives (and only 1 in ontario) + being out of province seems like a pretty easy way to screen out the hundreds of people applying. I wouldnt worry unless youre getting multiple rejections even from your own province/places you did electives in.

32 minutes ago, CaRMS2020 said:

Received a rejection to Toronto FM from out of province. I didn't have any FM electives in Toronto but I did have one elsewhere in Ontario with a strong LOR.

My app is unmistakably FM #1 with 8 weeks out of province electives so I am pretty shocked.. should I be surprised?? Do schools mention if there was an omission or something that disqualified my app?

Same with 13 weeks FM (unmatched last year). Don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll get more FM invites

53 minutes ago, CaRMS2020 said:

I applied for the same program, I haven't received any correspondence from them so far, what does this means?!

is the general consensus that this year things are more competitive than last year? I thought having done FM electives across the country w/ good evals should land you at least FM interviews across the country. 

Any thoughts about competitiveness or any trends this year vs last year?

4 minutes ago, daleader said:

is the general consensus that this year things are more competitive than last year? I thought having done FM electives across the country w/ good evals should land you at least FM interviews across the country. 

I think it's too early to say as most of the English speaking FM programs haven't released invites yet.

Not sure about other programs.

26 minutes ago, daleader said:

Way too early to say and electives are only a small part of one's application. CVs, references (!!), personal letters, and luck can all play a part in whether one gets an interview.

There might be more people backing up due to the recent waves of unmatched grads but I think at the end of the day match rates will still be high in family.

23 minutes ago, daleader said:

Raw numbers wise it's going to be worse than last year (worst on record) for English Canadians, but that still means 95-96% will match

10 minutes ago, qszwdxefc said:

Way too early to say and electives are only a small part of one's application. CVs, references (!!), personal letters, and luck can all play a part in whether one gets an interview.

I think in the past few years there's been continuous talk about family getting more competitive but the numbers didn't really back it up

As far as I can see, the only major weakness of my CV was minimal research. Barring some glaring omission or red flag on my app, I'm really not sure what would have excluded me from even an interview at Toronto. Reference letters are a black box, but of course I was told they would be strong.. And my letter demonstrated strong biological ties to the city.

I'm not too bummed about the particular school, but I am terrified there must be something amiss with my application. I'll be checking my email feverishly the next few days..

9 minutes ago, CaRMS2020 said:

As far as I can see, the only major weakness of my CV was minimal research. Barring some glaring omission or red flag on my app, I'm really not sure what would have excluded me from even an interview at Toronto. Reference letters are a black box, but of course I was told they would be strong.. And my letter demonstrated strong biological ties to the city.

I'm not too bummed about the particular school, but I am terrified there must be something amiss with my application. I'll be checking my email feverishly the next few days..

It sucks to receive regrets from any program. I'd try to avoid analyzing things as there's so much subjectivity and randomness involved in this whole CaRMS process, it's impossible to know for certain what if anything would have changed the outcome. I caught myself doing the same thing earlier with another program. All there is to do is make the best of your situation moving forward.

1 hour ago, CaRMS2020 said:

6+million people live in the GTA, im guessing well over 80% of people applying to UofT have ties to the city lol. I mean you said it yourself, you didnt do any electives at UofT and arent from an ontario med school. That alone puts you behind hundreds of applications all other things being equal.

16 minutes ago, med19-t said:

Anyone know likeliness of getting interview if waitlisted (for interview)? E.g. More likely to eventually get the interview, usually not offered by end?

It’s impossible to know without knowing which program you were waitlisted for. The only way you get an interview is if someone else cancels. The larger the interview pool the more likely someone will cancel, but also the larger the waitlist.

Archived