Premed 101 Forums

Gap year after 3rd year

Soltan

Hi

There is a lot of info on how a gap year after undergrad could help with med school application but I couldn't find anything on what happens if I take a gap year after 3rd year to study for MCAT and apply for med school in the summer before I do my 4th year. Would that gap be viewed negatively? 

It might not be viewed negatively, but whats the point? Most people can do well on the MCAT studying during the summer and you don't lose an entire year? Plus you also lose out on another application cycle. It is true that some people take a gap year after undergraduate, but mostly those are applicants who don't get accepted on their first application cycle and want to strengthen their application with ECs or work or research. In the unlikely situation where you would have to explain why you took a gap year, doing for the MCAT isn't a very good reason in my opinion and wouldn't help your application.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 6:39 PM, Soltan said:

Hi

There is a lot of info on how a gap year after undergrad could help with med school application but I couldn't find anything on what happens if I take a gap year after 3rd year to study for MCAT and apply for med school in the summer before I do my 4th year. Would that gap be viewed negatively? 

No one takes a gap year to study for the MCAT that’s insane. If you take a gap year use it productively getting EC or research 

Archived