Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2018/2019

3 minutes ago, yohohoy said:

Reject

OOP

Non-rural

First time applying to Manitoba. Obviously bombed CASPer. Looks like this year is gonna be a repeat of last year. Does not bode well at all for Mac and Ottawa. It is what it is I guess. 

The sad thing is my typing speed has gone up by 20wpm since I wrote CASPer. I'm a perfectly ethical, normal guy. I just type slow. That test is just unfair IMO. It is what it is.

Fuck Casper!

On 1/7/2019 at 3:53 PM, mTOR said:

What was the reason for your rejection as stated in your decision letter?

Just the regular generic message. I’ll copy/paste below:

Your application this year was unsuccessful for the following reason:

• Due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool this year, your application was not competitive enough to grant you further consideration

On 1/7/2019 at 3:01 PM, yohohoy said:

• Due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool this year, your application was not competitive enough to grant you further consideration

It sucks. I’m gonna miss out on schools that use CASPer. It’s like they’re telling me I’m a bad person or something. But I had the opportunity to see the scenarios earlier in the day (i.e. “cheat”) but I chose not to. And I know people who do these kind of things and then get interviews and acceptances.

I guess it’s not surprising that life isn’t fair lol. My chance to go to medical school is greatly reduced because I have low typing speed. 

I got rejected as well but my stats are nowhere close to yours ( OP, 515, 3.76/4). All I can say is that you should not give up and I am pretty sure you will get interviews from other schools. You have definitely worked extremely hard as is evident from your stats. Don't lose hope my friend and good Luck!

On 1/7/2019 at 3:01 PM, yohohoy said:

It sucks. I’m gonna miss out on schools that use CASPer. It’s like they’re telling me I’m a bad person or something. But I had the opportunity to see the scenarios earlier in the day (i.e. “cheat”) but I chose not to. And I know people who do these kind of things and then get interviews and acceptances.

I guess it’s not surprising that life isn’t fair lol. My chance to go to medical school is greatly reduced because I have low typing speed. 

Mine was definitely CASPER, because they explicitly said I was too far below the mean on the exam. I honestly don't see how I did so bad...they shouldn't be rejecting people for a test like this, where even typing speed could seriously affect your answer.

48 minutes ago, newthrowaway said:

Mine was definitely CASPER, because they explicitly said I was too far below the mean on the exam. I honestly don't see how I did so bad...they shouldn't be rejecting people for a test like this, where even typing speed could seriously affect your answer.

How did you find out that you were too far below the mean on Casper?

6 hours ago, newthrowaway said:

they shouldn't be rejecting people for a test like this, where even typing speed could seriously affect your answer.

Doc's like their studies and evidence base : https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10459-016-9739-9?wt_mc=Internal.Event.1.SEM.ArticleAuthorOnlineFirst

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51439735_Extending_the_Interview_to_All_Medical_School_Candidates-Computer-Based_Multiple_Sample_Evaluation_of_Noncognitive_Skills_CMSENS

I am no fan either, but just gotta roll w/ the punches. People have gotten interviews with not much written in the past compared to others, just some are really good writers I suppose. Maybe try a company to see where you're at. Good luck on the rest of your apps.

41 minutes ago, newthrowaway said:

OOP, but it doesn't matter. In their manual, they said that rule is for both IP and OOP.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats? I just want to confirm that great stats won't persuade them to overlook a below average Casper.

4 minutes ago, Verity said:

If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats? I just want to confirm that great stats won't persuade them to overlook a below average Casper.

I don;t know exactly how to convert GPA and whatnot for this forum, but I go to UofC if that helps.

3.71 GPA

518 MCAT

They indicated though that because of Casper, they didn't even bother giving me a full file review, so it might have just been a minimum score. Similar to how schools have minimum GPA and MCAT for a file review to even happen. They might not have even looked at my other scores at all.

16 minutes ago, newthrowaway said:

I don;t know exactly how to convert GPA and whatnot for this forum, but I go to UofC if that helps.

3.71 GPA

518 MCAT

They indicated though that because of Casper, they didn't even bother giving me a full file review, so it might have just been a minimum score. Similar to how schools have minimum GPA and MCAT for a file review to even happen. They might not have even looked at my other scores at all.

They are probably using the same algorithm as they've done with post interview composite score. In order to be considered for admission you need to pass the interview/casper, which entails not being below x number of SDs from the mean (I think it was 2 for the interview), and if you do pass, you get ranked along with other applicants. So most people who got rejected didn't get high enough composite score, but some get weeded out prior to that point if their casper/interview score is too low.     

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 3:50 PM, yohohoy said:

Reject

OOP

Non-rural

First time applying to Manitoba. Obviously bombed CASPer. Looks like this year is gonna be a repeat of last year. Does not bode well at all for Mac and Ottawa. It is what it is I guess. 

The sad thing is my typing speed has gone up by 20wpm since I wrote CASPer. I'm a perfectly ethical, normal guy. I just type slow. That test is just unfair IMO. It is what it is.

EDIT: I wanted to edit this for future reference. I actually ended up getting an interview at McMaster (Stats: 3.99, 131). So it seems my CASPer was moderately adequate although I recognize that with my high stats, my CASPer doesn't have to be outstanding for Mac, but one would think the same would apply to Manitoba. It seems that Manitoba just became far more competitive than in previous years, probably because the introduction of CASPer made a lot more people apply. More money for them I guess lol. 

Or perhaps I was very borderline for both Manitoba and Mac, in that I narrowly missed getting an interview at manitoba and just barely got an interview at mac. Who knows loool

Just so people who subscribed to this thread can see this update. 

Archived