Premed 101 Forums

Advice and opinions wanted: Masters degree - Pharmacology

Hey all!

I've been thinking of what I can do during this next year between cycles as I recently received a rejection from UBC (still waiting on OMSAS). I found a one year course-based Pharmacology masters and I am really interested in taking it just for my own interest after discovering my love for the field. I did coursework last year in pharmacology for the first time and can say hands-down it was one of the best experiences at the university level for me. I am considering the one year course-based masters so that I don't lose eligibility for the next cycle.

I'm not really even considering its relevance or benefit to my application or how it might apply to a future career as I'm currently employed and don't anticipate leaving this job until med. I just really want to take it for my own interest and to kind of give me a self-esteem boost, and to help me once I'm at the med-school level and doctor level (clinical trials and drug development sound interesting to me).

But since I'm here: is there a benefit to a MSc of this kind in the application process? What kinds of jobs could this degree open up for me? Does anyone know anyone with a MSc in Pharmacology?

Thank you to everyone who replies! :)

On 12/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Hey all!

I've been thinking of what I can do during this next year between cycles as I recently received a rejection from UBC (still waiting on OMSAS). I found a one year course-based Pharmacology masters and I am really interested in taking it just for my own interest after discovering my love for the field. I did coursework last year in pharmacology for the first time and can say hands-down it was one of the best experiences at the university level for me. I am considering the one year course-based masters so that I don't lose eligibility for the next cycle.

I'm not really even considering its relevance or benefit to my application or how it might apply to a future career as I'm currently employed and don't anticipate leaving this job until med. I just really want to take it for my own interest and to kind of give me a self-esteem boost, and to help me once I'm at the med-school level and doctor level (clinical trials and drug development sound interesting to me).

But since I'm here: is there a benefit to a MSc of this kind in the application process? What kinds of jobs could this degree open up for me? Does anyone know anyone with a MSc in Pharmacology?

Thank you to everyone who replies! :)

It may give you an extra point when applying to McMaster and it always looks good on a CV. Personally, I think admissions reviewers just like to see that you keep busy. Its impossible to compare different applications since no two people do the same thing. In exchange, i believe they just want to see you are doing something and a masters degree is always valuable time spent. 

I wonder if a MSc in pharmacology would give you a tiny bit of an edge in applying to some residencies when the time comes. I think anesthesia has a pretty large pharmacology component. And obviously FM and  IM + sub specialties too. I’m purely speculating here. It wouldn’t hurt you though.

Keep in mind that course-based MSc are not equivalent to thesis-based ones, so their value for certain things (applying for residency/jobs) isn't always as high. I know people who completed a one year course-based MSc in biochem from UWO who were told when trying to apply for PhDs at schools other than UWO that their MSc was invalid and they'd have to complete at least 1 year of a thesis-based MSc before even being eligible to transfer to a PhD program.

You mentioned not leaving your current job until med, how would you complete even a course-based MSc while working? Are you only part time at your job?

I could work the MSc around my job (flexible hours).

I have read that course-based aren't considered as highly as thesis for some things. Primarily I don't want to make myself ineligible for med for a degree I probably won't really need anyways (by doing a 2-3 year thesis MSc). 

I have not decided yet what I will do but I am going to attend an information session to learn more. 

27 minutes ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

I could work the MSc around my job (flexible hours).

I have read that course-based aren't considered as highly as thesis for some things. Primarily I don't want to make myself ineligible for med for a degree I probably won't really need anyways (by doing a 2-3 year thesis MSc). 

I have not decided yet what I will do but I am going to attend an information session to learn more. 

Well a course-based masters can give you small bonus points at mac and it can make up a GPA year for Calgary. Unfortunately, it's likely that UofT won't give you that grad review. So really, there's not really much benefit for admissions, but hey, sometimes applicant only need that little push to be interviewed and, if lucky, accepted. 

I think you should look at the course-based masters as if it is something you really want to do and how it will apply to your future career - I wouldn't throw your finances out if it really no purpose for 1) your future career or 2) your alternative path.

As for common knockdown on course-based masters, sure they might not have a strong relevance for MD applications compared to thesis based, but depending on whether you lean towards academic or private practice, course-based masters can still provide benefits of improving both your clinical practice and/or job employment (a.k.a. MPH).

Archived