Premed 101 Forums

Interview Chance at UWO

Hey guys,

I have got the results back for This NOV Canadian DAT. As I predicted due to sickness I did poorly on DAT. Beside PAT which I screwed up completely the rest of DAT is bareable. I was wondering if you could tell me whether I have shot to get an interview this cycle.

GPA: 90% (best two year)

DAT (AA,RC,PAT): 20,18,14

EC: Pretty average.

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.

I'm in a similar boat:

GPA 90.75% (best two)

DAT
AA - 20
RC - 20
PAT - 22

EC:
-2 summers in research (one wet one dry)
-100 hours shadowing
-1 summer dental office
-president of fundraising club for children with CHD

In previous years it seemed they only looked at AA and RC but I think they added this line for this years cycle "All sections of the DAT may be considered in the selection process, with the exception of the Manual Dexterity section" so the PAT may play a factor. Not sure if your 14 will impact things then. Other than that I would say it really depends what your ECs are. Average could mean a lot of things. Were you able to put something down in every section of the ABS?

1 hour ago, HopefulDDS said:

I'm in a similar boat:

GPA 90.92% (best two)

DAT
AA - 20
RC - 20
PAT - 22

EC:
-2 summers in research (one wet one dry)
-100 hours shadowing
-1 summer dental office
-president of fundraising club for children with CHD

In previous years it seemed they only looked at AA and RC but I think they added this line for this years cycle "All sections of the DAT may be considered in the selection process, with the exception of the Manual Dexterity section" so the PAT may play a factor. Not sure if your 14 will impact things then. Other than that I would say it really depends what your ECs are. Average could mean a lot of things. Were you able to put something down in every section of the ABS?

I would not say we are in the same boat. You did really good on DAT. As for my EC, I have done shadowing, clinical volunteering. tutoring and club exec, app developing, research but just 1 poster pub. Thats about it.

Similar boat as well...

Best two years is a 4.01/4.33 scale

DAT:  RC 23/ AA 22/ PAT 18

ABS: loads of work experience, average volunteering with university clubs, sports teams, hospitals, peer counseling and child mentoring.  I have a bit of research (a year of undergrad honors project and a year of paid research) but no publications.  I also have zero shadowing experience which I think will hurt me the most.   

I’m also OOP which doesn’t hurt me apparently but years past there’s usually only 1-3 students form my province admitted to UWO.

8 hours ago, GreedyGod said:

I would not say we are in the same boat. You did really good on DAT. As for my EC, I have done shadowing, clinical volunteering. tutoring and club exec, app developing, research but just 1 poster pub. Thats about it.

Having a good AA is the most important DAT component for western which we both have a good standing in (could be better). I believe the RC is usually a cut off at 18 or 19 so you could get away with it.

4 hours ago, northernjb said:

Similar boat as well...

Best two years is a 4.01/4.33 scale

DAT:  RC 23/ AA 22/ PAT 18

ABS: loads of work experience, average volunteering with university clubs, sports teams, hospitals, peer counseling and child mentoring.  I have a bit of research (a year of undergrad honors project and a year of paid research) but no publications.  I also have zero shadowing experience which I think will hurt me the most.   

I’m also OOP which doesn’t hurt me apparently but years past there’s usually only 1-3 students form my province admitted to UWO.

Congrats on the good DAT stats! I assume your GPA translates to ~89% so that's on par. The ABS looks good as long as you had a good explanation for your lack of shadowing. And I don't think you should worry about the OOP status. The reason it's so low is mostly because of the overwhelming amount of Ontario applicants paired with the fact that most OOP applicants will get into their IP school and thus not accept their UWO offer.

Archived