Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

14 hours ago, Mspharm said:

Hi. I've applied to UofA PharmD as well. It sounds like they will conduct an online interview. Is it video based like a Skype call? I was wondering if anyone has more I formation on this. Thank you 

It is online but not like Skype. More like just videoing yourself answering questions that are timed. Nobody on the other side. It's a bit odd. 

8 minutes ago, Daria.Strel said:

Anybody know of the kind of questions they will be asking? 

Should I expect very much like "what is your biggest weakness?"  Or more like"what is your opinion on (insert obscure pharmaceutical topic)"

Just got an interview invite as well!

HI, I'm not sure what the questions will be like but in the email they mentioned that there are practice questions available 

15 minutes ago, Mspharm said:

HI, I'm not sure what the questions will be like but in the email they mentioned that there are practice questions available 

I saw that! It just also states that the practice questions won't be like the real test questions so was wondering if there should be things I should consider :)

17 hours ago, LethyPharm said:

did they say there were 4 questions this year??

last year there were 2 verbal questions and 1 written.... does anyone know if this will be the same?

In the invite email it says there are four questions so if I had to guess, they made do 3 verbal and 1 written? Completely guessing though, I'm not sure if they have to ask a written question or if they can do all verbal etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, LethyPharm said:

Well they didn't tell me anything until mid august or something, so I guess I was a late rejection. When I got the rejection they told me I was on a waitlist but it didn't sound like there was much of a chance to get in and they didn't tell me which position I was in. Yeah last 2 years (when applied last year) was 3.75GPA but I think the reason I didn't get in was due to having a lower course load. They want you to have full 30 credits for at least one year. So this year I've done that with a 4.0GPA and my last 2 years should be about 3.94 so am hoping this year I can get in! And also I am an in province applicant. 

Hey @LethyPharm, lol, you didn't mention that you had a 3.1 GPA year for your first year (I saw your other comment on the UBC thread), so that in combination with your lower course load resulted in your rejection last year?

1 hour ago, InterinPharm said:

Hey @LethyPharm, lol, you didn't mention that you had a 3.1 GPA year for your first year (I saw your other comment on the UBC thread), so that in combination with your lower course load resulted in your rejection last year?

to me it sounded like mainly the course load was the issue since they only emphasized last 2 years courses GPA in the rejection letter. 

On 3/25/2019 at 11:12 PM, TiramisuGirl said:

@InterinPharm Not sure about average GPA, but we were told that the minimum incoming GPA was 3.3-3.4 at orientation. Not sure if this was cGPA, pGPA, or most recent 2 years. 

@zoonoticpathogen LethyPharm is right, it seems that all applicants receive an interview and pre-requisites, LOI, and GPA are checked later. I also feel that this makes it harder for applicants to know what their chances are, but it definitely makes sense from the faculty's point of view! 

Hello @TiramisuGirl, do you think that the "3.3-3.4" minimum incoming GPA is real, meaning have you even heard of anyone actually having that low of a GPA and getting in? But then again, I guess there was no reason to lie to you guys...

The reason I am asking is because all successful applicants (based on previous years' threads and from what I've heard) have had a GPA of 3.5+

@franky @Pharm98 @pharmlife  @nicolelk @Lynn123 @John17 @PharmCat @RX0 @Riley103 @datboy1999 @Pharmuofa98 @Boboeat

Just wanted to ask to the successful applicants from last year, do you actually know of anyone who had a 3.3-3.4 GPA that got in? That GPA seems too low to be competitive yet apparently people were told that at orientation. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 3:50 PM, InterinPharm said:

@franky @Pharm98 @pharmlife  @nicolelk @Lynn123 @John17 @PharmCat @RX0 @Riley103 @datboy1999 @Pharmuofa98 @Boboeat

Just wanted to ask to the successful applicants from last year, do you actually know of anyone who had a 3.3-3.4 GPA that got in? That GPA seems too low to be competitive yet apparently people were told that at orientation. 

@InterinPharmYeah for sure I know a fellow who got in with a 3.4ish GPA, he told me the father is a pharmacist and he had lots of experience shadowing at his father's pharmacy. Always a good thing to give it a shot you never know what will be your biggest contributing factor. 

On 5/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, Boboeat said:

@InterinPharmYeah for sure I know a fellow who got in with a 3.4ish GPA, he told me the father is a pharmacist and he had lots of experience shadowing at his father's pharmacy. Always a good thing to give it a shot you never know what will be your biggest contributing factor. 

This is talking about cumulative GPA, right?

Also, why didn't you get in (was there a reason given in the rejection letter) on your first try?

Hello all,

I am from the Class of 2022 with some insight from previous members who held a role on the application board.

I know how reading all these posted high GPAs can scare lots of you. I just wanted to let you all know to not worry yourself if your GPA isn’t in the high 3.5 and up. GPA has become a significantly smaller factor when it come to your application. 

As an example, I applied with people with confirmed 3.9’s, where I had a much lower GPA. My friend unfortunately did not get accepted. 

From what I know is that your letter of intent and interview is vital to your success. If you tailored these things towards the changing landscape of pharmacy and hint “interprofessional” compatibilities, you may find yourself at a higher advantage.

Sorry for being late with this information but I hope it helps ease some worries. 

Remember, there is so much more to you than just a number. Who you are is what will determine your success in applications and the “much more fun” pharmacy school journey.

I hope to see you all next year!

52 minutes ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

Hello all,

I am from the Class of 2022 with some insight from previous members who held a role on the application board.

I know how reading all these posted high GPAs can scare lots of you. I just wanted to let you all know to not worry yourself if your GPA isn’t in the high 3.5 and up. GPA has become a significantly smaller factor when it come to your application. 

As an example, I applied with people with confirmed 3.9’s, where I had a much lower GPA. My friend unfortunately did not get accepted. 

From what I know is that your letter of intent and interview is vital to your success. If you tailored these things towards the changing landscape of pharmacy and hint “interprofessional” compatibilities, you may find yourself at a higher advantage.

Sorry for being late with this information but I hope it helps ease some worries. 

Remember, there is so much more to you than just a number. Who you are is what will determine your success in applications and the “much more fun” pharmacy school journey.

I hope to see you all next year!

Do you have to know a lot of specifics about pharmacy and/or have work experience that is pharmacy-related to make up for a lower GPA?

Also, you are referring to cumulative GPA, correct?

7 hours ago, InterinPharm said:

Do you have to know a lot of specifics about pharmacy and/or have work experience that is pharmacy-related to make up for a lower GPA?

Also, you are referring to cumulative GPA, correct?

You don’t have to know a lot of specifics but I would understand the types of pharmacists that there are and have a good sense of what you want from pharmacy. 

What I mean by this is to show passion towards pharmacy and the betterment of the healthcare system through inter-professional collaboration.

As for GPA I’ll tell you mine. I decided to apply for Pharmacy after my 4th year when I finished my degree. The faculty focuses heavily on the last two years (not including spring and summer) when they calculate GPA. That being said I must have been the exception. My GPA was 3.8, 3.8, 2.1, and then 3.7. I hit quite rock bottom  in life in my third year but funny enough it probably increased my chance of getting into pharm as it gave me good life experience. 

9 hours ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

You don’t have to know a lot of specifics but I would understand the types of pharmacists that there are and have a good sense of what you want from pharmacy. 

What I mean by this is to show passion towards pharmacy and the betterment of the healthcare system through inter-professional collaboration.

As for GPA I’ll tell you mine. I decided to apply for Pharmacy after my 4th year when I finished my degree. The faculty focuses heavily on the last two years (not including spring and summer) when they calculate GPA. That being said I must have been the exception. My GPA was 3.8, 3.8, 2.1, and then 3.7. I hit quite rock bottom  in life in my third year but funny enough it probably increased my chance of getting into pharm as it gave me good life experience. 

U of A looks at only your last two years for cumulative GPA, so your cumulative GPA was (2.1 + 3.7)/2 = 2.9??? If so, that is incredibly low. 

On 5/21/2019 at 10:59 AM, InterinPharm said:

U of A looks at only your last two years for cumulative GPA, so your cumulative GPA was (2.1 + 3.7)/2 = 2.9??? If so, that is incredibly low. 

Oh it was. I applied anyways preparing for the “I’m sorry to inform” letter. But it never came.

I spoke with Anjela (student services) before about applications and she did inform me of the two year criteria.

In other words, don’t let a bad year prevent you from applying next time if you don’t make it in!